The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using iPad version without desktop Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm thinking of making the purchase but am unsure how Omnioutliner will integrate into my life. For better or for worse, all the machines I have run Windows, so the iPad app would be my primary if not exclusive way to manipulate Omnioutliner data.

Anybody out there in similar situation? How's the usability of the iPad app as the only means to create and manage notes / outlines? A bit concerned about entering data.

Any advice would be awesome!

For what is worth, I can attest that if you export your OO document as an HTML email, Outlook will display it very neatly. In the absence of PDF exporting, this seems to be the best way to see your outlines on Windows.
You could go down the path of exporting OPML and finding a Windows app to open and manipulate it, but I would not recommend it. In my view, one of the big thing of OO is that you can build very rich outlines, with formatting, columns, images, etc. None of that would survive an OPML conversion.

That's inline with what I'm thinking as well - I would need to use the app exclusively to manipulate my notes and outlines on my iPad. Would that make a good user experience? Or should I buy a Mac first, haha.

Last edited by chuender; 2011-05-15 at 02:25 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuender View Post
TWould that make a good user experience?
IMHO, yes.

Quote:
Or should I buy a Mac first, haha.
Bying a Mac is always a gain :D

Quote:
manipulate my notes and outlines on my iPad. Would that make a good user experience? Or should I buy a Mac first, haha.
I have OOiP and take it to work where I am forced to use a Windows machine. I have found OO for iPad very helpful and useful EVEN IN THE WINDOWS WORLD. I have also tried exporting the OPML from OOiP to a Windows mind mapping app (XMind) and notes and photos transfer fine. The font styles are lost, of course.

I have also taken meeting minutes and then used export to "Dynamic HTML" and emailed the HTML file to my Windows-burdened colleagues, who are able to see it nicely formatted as it is in OO.

Still pondering the purchase of OO for Mac...

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed that my typing on iPad has increased markedly so went ahead with the purchase. Time will tell the effects of not having a desktop or web client for better data entry.

What version of XMind do you use - free or pro? I will be trying to import to freeMind, but for not it's not a huge priority anymore. :)

You can always use a Windows app that speaks OPML if you want to manipulate the outlines on your desktop. Or if the issue is just that you want a real keyboard, Other World Computing is selling the Apple BT keyboard for $50 right now.