The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OW Tab ideas from Leopard's Preview app Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just got through looking over an article on Leopard's Preview application, and I thought there were possibilities that OmniWeb might adopt. Taken from the article:

By default, it displays thumbnails of each page of the PDF, just as the old drawer did. However, the sidebar width can be manually set to any width, and as it get wider, it accommodates multiple rows of thumbnails. A zoom slider adjusts the size of the thumbnails, allowing infinite control of how the window displays the document you're viewing. Thumbnails also support drag and drop reordering of pages within a PDF, and you can delete pages or insert new blank pages.

I'm really not making a feature request per se, but I wondered what other OW users thought about an idea for an evolution to OW's current tab drawer iteration based on these ideas. Or are most happy with the tab drawer as it is now?

Too much wasted space. Drawers are going away mainly for change's sake. The functionality I see in that shot already exists in the drawer.

I like the multiple columns of thumbnails.

As for sidebars vs. drawers... I think arguing for keeping the drawer is a lost cause at this point. Apple seems to be moving away from drawers in all their programs (e.g. Mail, now Preview), and I'm betting it'll be a deprecated UI element by OS X 10.6. They'll probably add an official widget resembling the Mail & Preview sidebars. NSSidebarView?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Too much wasted space. Drawers are going away mainly for change's sake. The functionality I see in that shot already exists in the drawer.
I see what you are saying. Still, I thought the concept of having two or three columns of drawers was interesting enough to post as an idea here. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ata View Post
I like the multiple columns of thumbnails.

As for sidebars vs. drawers... I think arguing for keeping the drawer is a lost cause at this point. Apple seems to be moving away from drawers in all their programs (e.g. Mail, now Preview), and I'm betting it'll be a deprecated UI element by OS X 10.6. They'll probably add an official widget resembling the Mail & Preview sidebars. NSSidebarView?
I agree with your drawer vs. sidebar statement. It seems to be going away in all of Apple's applications in Leopard, so maybe it might be in Omni's best interest to covert the drawer to a sidebar eventually. Thanks for your feedback. :)