The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Separating Weekly To Do List and Daily To Do List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
HI All,

I wanted to get folk's input regarding options/suggestions to setup OmniFocus to maintain a weekly list and a daily list.

Here's some background...

I like doing a weekly review (usually on Sunday) where I can do a full review of my projects and plan out the next week. During this time, I'd like to be able to generate a list of those actions that I'd like to focus on during the week. This would include:

> Items that have a start date during the next week
> Items that are due during the next week
> Other projects/actions I'd like to focus on during the week.

I find that weekly planning enables me to look a little bigger picture, rather than doing a daily review of all my tasks.

With the weekly list in place, each evening, I'd then like to go through and pick items from my weekly list that I plan to focus on the next day - this being my "Today" list.

Here's a "wish list" item that I'd like the solution to entail (if possible)...

1) I'd be doing my weekly and Today planning on my Mac, but I'd only be using iPhone/iPad during the day to execute the "Today" list. However, if there are things that come up during the day that need to get done that day, I'd like to have an easy way to ensure they can be added on my iPhone/iPad so I can see everything in one place.

Any suggestion on the best/optimal way to accomplish this?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

David

Use the Forecast view + Flags + a perspective (only needed when on iPhone).

On the iPad, the Forecast view gives you items due and starting for the week starting today. As of this writing, the iPod touch/iPhone version doesn't yet have the display of items starting, though I'm sure it is coming. In the mean time, you can build a context mode perspective on the Mac that groups by start date. The perspective will be synced to your iPhone and you can use it to identify actions starting this week.

Use the flags to mark items which you want to work this week even if they aren't starting or due in this time frame. If you flag a project, all of its actions are treated as if they are flagged, or you can flag individual actions if you prefer.

So, workflow looks like:

Open OmniFocus, work all items due today (or before today!). Spend remaining time working items on flagged list, starting today, or due (or starting) later in week. If all lists exhausted, go to context view, pick a context in which you could work, and have at it.