The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problem with Mail to OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am having problems with the interface between Mail and OmniFocus. I had it working a few days ago, but now nothing I try seems to work. Here are the details of the Mail rule that was inserted:

1. Mail receives the email with -- action as the subject.
2. Mail marks the message as read
3. Calls the OmniFocus Applescript: /Applications/Office/OmniFocus.app/Contents/Resources/MailAction.applescript
4. Archives the message in the Omnifocus mail folder

I know the applescript is being called, because the message does end up being archived into the Omnifocus folder. But no task appears in the OmniFocus Inbox.

If this applescript was failing, is the error logged somewhere? Any way to debug this applescript? Any help would be appreciated.

KP

You might check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for error messages, but Mail generally doesn't log errors from AppleScripts it runs (sadly). It's also worth noting that if you sent the message with a project specified "task > project" it may have gotten filed into the project instead of the inbox (depending on your inbox processing preferences).

Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have check the console, and nothing shows up. I am also just entering an action with no project, context or dates.

Is there any chance of getting a copy of the applescript file so that I can debug what might be happening on my machine? I can't think of another way to isolate the issue.

Is anyone else having problems with the applescript that scans Mail and creates new tasks in OmniFocus?

kp

The script that gets invoked by Mail is just the one that is pointed to by the mail rule, inside the OmniFocus application wrapper. You could copy that out and redirect the Mail rule to run your copy and then edit it to insert debug logging or the like. I believe you may have to relaunch Mail to have it pick up the changes, but I might be misremembering.

Tim,

Thanks for the info. I was able to extract the applescript and take a look at it. It appears that it has some logging capabilities built into the script:

on perform mail action with messages theMessages
try
set theMessageCount to count of theMessages
repeat with theMessageIndex from 1 to theMessageCount
my process_message(item theMessageIndex of theMessages)
end repeat
on error m number n
tell application "OmniFocus"
log "Exception in Mail action: (" & n & ") " & m
end tell
end try
end perform mail action with messages

Do you happen to know where OmniFocus might save this logging information, if it even does?

With a little ghetto debugging, here is where the script is failing:

set theText to subject of theMessage & return & content of theMessage

This is in the process_message function.

And finally taking it one final step, I commented out the part of the line where the body of the message is combined with the subject. Here is the original line:

set theText to subject of theMessage & return & content of theMessage

I commented out the end:

set theText to subject of theMessage -- & return & content of theMessage

And the task appears properly in OmniFocus. So I did a little more whacking on it and tried thess:

set theText to subject of theMessage & content of theMessage

And it failed again. It looks like the code is just combining the subject and the body with some sort of string concat... but so far I cannot tell why it is failing. The subject is okay. The return is okay. The code is failing at 'content of theMessage'

Last edited by kpettersen; 2007-12-24 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Added more info

I'm having this exact same problem, but I have no idea how to help debug it. I tried the fix listed, but that didn't work for me.

My mail message just has in the subject "get money for dog person", and that's it. It gets filed correctly in the omnifocus folder I created in Mail, and Omnifocus is set up to trigger with "+omnifocus" before the @sign, which the message has.

do you have the clip a tron 3000 or whatever it's called , installed in the prefs for mail in Omni Focus . I always have to reinstall it whenever I install a new build .. OMNI GROUP will that always be the case ?

I am having the same problem -- the process works except no task or project is created in the inbox (or anywhere else). I even tried pasting in the example message given in the help file...

MacBook Pro
OSX 10.4.11
2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 gig memory