The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Who uses Omnifocus for iPad as ONLY task/mgr? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

For many years I've used different apps on handhelds that sync with my PC to get things organized. Since I got an iPhone, I haven't had much luck finding a good task mgr that syncs with my computer. Endless issues with sync - sometimes taking many hours to correct.

Anyway, I read a review of O.F. For iPad - about how it can stand on it's own as an organizer. Well, I took a chance and bought it. After a week I'll report I really like it. But sometimes I wonder if I need the iPhone version too for those rare occasions when I don't have my iPad nearby.

I was wondering how many of you use the iPad version as your only version? And How well is it working for you?

I got the ipad version, and it is superb! It does take a little getting used to (like all omni products) - you have to invest more time upfront to understand properly how to use it - and that's where many people give up and go instead for one of the simpler "To Do" apps, but it's worth sticking with it, because once mastered it's a VERY powerful tool!

I alo got the iphone version for the same reason as you are thinking of - in case I need it for when I'm away from the ipad, as well as the 14 day free trial desktop version. I sync using MobileMe, and I have to say that the syncing is quick and smooth - no problems at all. But here's the thing - the iPad version is so much better, in my opinion, than the iphone or desktop versions,that in three weeks of use, I have never used anything but the iPad!

I do have the iPhone version along with the iPad, but I use the iphone version as a way to capture actions or ideas whilst out and about and a reminder about who to phone whilst in the car.

The iPad version is my working location, everything goes through there. Reviews on it are brilliantly easy.

I don't have the Mac version purely down to the cost as I wouldn't use it at home enough to justify the expense, and I'm on Windoze at work.

Thanks for the replies. As a perfectionist I always feel like I might be missing out if I don't have another tool. But I am going to try to stick with the iPad version. I've been working at GTD since 2005 and this version seems to be about perfect. I especially see the value in the forecast feature.

I have all three versions.

I use the iPad version the most, by far.

I think the iPad and desktop versions have their own unique features that make them better than other versions for specific things. ie: There are things that I prefer to do on the iPad, and things that I prefer to do on the desktop.

That is, there are times when I'm sitting with my iPad and my desktop, and choose which one to do something with based on the UI of OmniFocus on each.

That's not true for the iPhone version. I love having it with me, but you're not missing out on anything unique or surprising. You need to evaluate how much of an impediment having to get out your iPad is. For some people, the extra effort to get out the iPad may make them not add things to their inbox, or not look at their lists often enough.

That's it, though, IMHO. iPhone gives you a very small window into your data with very little effort. The only times I've had my iPhone version open next to another computer were:
a) Laptop didn't have Internet
b) I wanted to look at two windows at once - looking at a to-do list while looking at some other content (rare)

My iPad is mostly my device of choice over my MacBook Pro, due to it's portability. Add a bluetooth keyboard and you have a pretty good combination, until that is it comes to bashing in a mind dump of tasks into OF. It would be so good if there was more keyboard input available instead of having to take your hands from the keyboard to poke the screen to move between OF fields or choose from menus. I have asked the ninjas to take us keyboarders into consideration, but I need some supoort from the rest of you keyboarders to move the request up the rankings.

So do you keyboard? Do you find data input a trial compared to the desktop version of OF? Have you contacted the ninjas?

ANNOYINGLY - I have added a post that I have been thinking about for a while which is at the moment covered by a post a couple down from here. Please feel free to lock or delete as that thread answers the question very well.

Last edited by Dogsbreath; 2011-06-14 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: Addition

I have all three versions, but the other half has swiped my iTouch. The desktop version (on an MBP15) tends to be my backup device for my iPad and rarely gets used for much else. I do use it to tidy up loose projects and contexts, although I realise now that I could do that on the iPad.

Bluetooth keyboard is a real pain, an IOS problem rather than Omni's, for which I have given the Apple iPad team feedback.

My computer usage is mostly email, surfing, Twitter, music/podcasts and GTD so a laptop is becoming redundant for me, except as mentioned above for backups. With the advent of IOS there may be even less point in having one and I might finally go for a desktop as my second computer when the MBP gets too slow.

No worries, Dogsbreath - I just merged the threads. Not a problem. :-)

My iPad is my personal comptuter and task/project management is an area that I am not yet sure of how to address.

I have been using remember the milk for a while, I miss start date and projects.

Considering the price of OF on the iPad, I wanna be sure that it is going to do what I need. If I only use the iPad, will the experience be satisfying? I am reading that it is not possible to create perspectives directly on the iPad, will I miss that feature a lot? Is there anything else that I will miss if I do not use the desktop version (I might also get the iPod/iPhone version)?

From what I have seen, I can do more with OF for iPad than with RTM, Toodledo or even 2DO.

So back to the original question, is the exclusive use of the iPad version enough?

Last edited by carlbolduc; 2011-06-22 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: merged title with body of the message

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbolduc View Post
I am reading that it is not possible to create perspectives directly on the iPad, will I miss that feature a lot?
Don't read the forums too much, especially threads about perspectives: the more you think about perspectives the more you will probably want to use them. You probably won't miss them if you don't know about them. :)

I use perspectives for two things:
a) The standard OF display for flagged items displays both projects *and* tasks. Say, "Clear out smelly cooler" is a project, and "Put stinky stuff" and "Hose it out" are tasks. I want them all flagged. So I flag the project. This means that OF displays all three items as flagged: The project itself and the not yet available actions are listed.
I have a custom perspective that displays only flagged tasks that are available. Actually, I have three: One as a straight list, one sorted by project, one sorted by context.

b) I have contexts for errands. I have a perspective that shows me all errands, but sorted by project. Normally, I would go into contexts, and see "Nearby errands", but this lets me see *all* errands, within their projects. You could also customize the perspective to show you even un-available items - so you could quickly identify things you needed to get ready so an errand trip was more productive.

Even without perspectives, IMHO OF is very rich and is far more in-depth than any other app I've seen. If you don't think about perspectives you *probably* won't miss them.

You could probably use the trial version of OF on the Mac to configure your perspectives and sync them. They'll stay there. (Also, on the iPad, you can add a "star" to a perspective, making it appear in the top-level list - this lets you have a lot of perspectives in the main list, but a few instantly accessible)