The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Create Task with Label Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hoping somebody has some great ideas on this idea I have.

What I would like to do is have a watched Label/Folder in my email. This way anything that I move into this folder will have a task created in OF and then archived.

I would be using Mail.app and OF on my mac. My thoughts on this are I could then just move a message on my iPhone to a folder and have a task auto create. Then I don't have to worry about sending another email like I currently have to do with the OF Mail rule.

Am I smoking crack or is this a valid idea.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Well, one fly in the ointment is that something needs to trigger a rule in Mail.app on the Mac to process the message into an OF action. If you're going to go to that much trouble, why not use the existing mechanism, which doesn't require the trouble? Just set up an entry in your address book with a short, unique name and your address for OmniFocus processing, and rather than refiling a message, forward it to that address. Admittedly, if you have bunches of messages to process this way, refiling may be more convenient than forwarding.

You would need an Applescript to empty out the destination folder and hand each message off to OmniFocus. Much of the code from the built-in rule that OmniFocus installs for the Clip-o-Tron could be recycled, I think. Then you need to arrange for that script to be run periodically, perhaps from iCal as an event alarm. May or may not have problems if you are actively using Mail.app at the time the script runs. Depending on whether you need your actions created immediately, or just reliably, you could skip the headaches of getting the script run in the background by just running it manually when you return to the Mac. Even if they are immediately created on the Mac, they will not show up on the iPhone until your next sync that takes place after the Mac's next sync.