The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like a history function -

Since GTD is essentially tracking what I do, I would like a way of looking at what I have done in my life -

Something that could be viewed with a calendar-like interface, or even in its first form, just list the calendar date at the top with backwards/forwards buttons.

It would not only be a great record of what I have done, but serve as a tool to look up when things were done.

Is this feature being thought about?

All of the things you do are saved and you can look at them using filters.

I have asked for statistics, which would show you how many projects, tasks, etc you have. Which are the oldest projects/tasks (based on created time) and how long projects took to complete.

I have not heard back on any of this.

BZ

You can sort or group your projects by Date Added, which is an easy way to see the oldest projects.

We won't be reporting any statistics in 1.0 (we want to ship as soon as we can!), but you can build your own reports using AppleScript, iterating through all the projects and reporting on the difference between each project's completion date and its date added (or whatever).

Since it won't make it into v1.0, would it be possible to export a denormalized view of a project's completed NAs for further processing in another program? If nothing else, it would help those of us that have to feed time accounting systems? I'm thinking CSV (or tab delimited) text files here.

Applescript could create a CSV.

The Zen thing is to let go of the past. (But come to think of it, Zen teaches that we need to let go of the future!) Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk
The Zen thing is to let go of the past. (But come to think of it, Zen teaches that we need to let go of the future!) Hmm...
I actually think it is one of David's missing pieces in GTD, which is that one of the things to do in your Weekly Review is to look over the stuff you have done. There are really tons of triggers for new stuff to do in your history, but up until these types of programs it was really hard to view or organize past events.

Now, hopefully with OmniFocus, you should be able to see a days/weeks/months past events of what you have done, review it in your Weekly Review and have it trigger more stuff to do as part of your brain dump.

Ahh... so GTD. :)

BZ