The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Interface looks exactly like that 4 second video Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ok, so I haven't plunked down my $40 yet. I'm sure I will by the end of today, but I am hesitant, which is disappointing.

When I saw that 4-second video, I couldn't help but laugh! It looked like a complete mess. After a few posts on the forum, I was ensured that that was just a rough mockup, and that the final would look way more polished.

From the screenshots Im seeing on iTunes and the OF website, the final product looks almost identical to that mess I saw on that 4 second video.

I can't explain it, it just looks ugly. It doesn't seem polished, the icons look too big, things are out of proportion.

Now, I'm not a graphic designer, and I don't claim to be able to do better, but I can tell when something looks "off." Omnifocus for iPhone is bland, but looks fine. Omnifocus for desktop looks like an OSX application. Omnifocus for iPad looks like the ugly misfit of the bunch.

Don't get me wrong, I like GTD/OF so much, I'm sure I'll part with my $40 by the end of today, but not after reading hundreds of reviews. This isn't a leap of faith purchase for me like the other OF products.

Parts of it are awesome but the main outline view feels like it was designed by Fisher Price.

It must be a matter of taste. I think OF for iPad is the best looking member of the OF family, and one of the best looking apps on my iPad. I've been beta testing it for a month and find that everything is just the right size for tapping.

Curt

I was critical of that same 4 second video and I think the released product is much more polished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
It must be a matter of taste. I think OF for iPad is the best looking member of the OF family, and one of the best looking apps on my iPad. I've been beta testing it for a month and find that everything is just the right size for tapping.
Likewise. I find myself using the desktop OmniFocus only for those things that can't be done on the iPad, such as running Applescripts, or doing a bulk edit in the inspector.

I do like it, but I still like the look of the desktop OF better. I used Air-Display awhile back with my iPad and my Mac using the iPad as a second display. Then I dragged OF desktop over to the iPad and it looked perfect. I could manipulate everything on the touch screen, and I have big fingers.

The iPad version really seems to work great, very well thought out. But I think that there is a lot of wasted space on the screen with having a box around each task, you could fit at least 20 - 30% more on the screen if the boxes were not there.

But to be honest, I have a feeling that the UI will grow on me over a short time. Either way, this will be the most used app on my iPad and it was worth every penny. I have to be honest, I downloaded it the minute it became available on iTunes (was refreshing every 5 seconds...), I never even looked at the price when I purchased it, I hit the button so fast I never even saw the price. I had to go back into iTunes on my Mac later to see what it cost.

I think it's fair to say that there weren't DRASTIC changes, but I feel it was definitely improved a bit. And of course it will continue to get refined as time goes on, but I would rather have the product as-is now for the functionality and continue to let them improve the interface incrementally.

You can get about 20-30% more actions on the screen by using it in portrait mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You can get about 20-30% more actions on the screen by using it in portrait mode...
...I have been using since it came out a few hours ago and I never went from landscape to portrait, not even once. Guess that tells you how I prefer to use my iPad...

You are correct whpalmer4 (as usual - thanks for that), you do get 20-30% more shown on the screen. I still prefer the look of the desktop better but this does get me much more comfortable with the UI now. Thanks.