The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New to OO, Feature Requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
We've been searching for a tool to manage construction specifications and we've tried everything. Most of these tools are really crappy and most, if not all are Windows only. Someone told me about OOP, so we gave it a shot today and migrated one of our specs as a test. It works amazing well, in fact, closer to our requirements than anything we've tried previously, including FrameMaker (too big, too fat, too clunky....too....Windows).

A few additional features would really make this product perfect for this application and could open up a new, rather large market for this product:

1. We love the ability to filter checked items when printing. However, our specifications depend heavily on numbered hierarchy and this filter is not smart enough to adjust the numbering scheme when some items are filtered. A better use of the filter would be "real time" in the editing view. A checked item could be grayed out and it's numbering could be removed so the numbering sequence would continue normally. I hope I'm explaining this well enough...

2. Page View. There is not way to see the printed output until you print/preview. Having to adjust the window size to get the correct page layout is kinda silly. I realize that this isn't (and shouldn't be) a word processor, but there is general weirdness in how printed output gets configured. The scaling doesn't work as it distorts font point size.

3. Zoom. We use 10 point fonts for all of the outline text and 12 point for headers/footers. On a large display, this is too small for editing, so we have to increase the font size until we're ready to print. It would be great to be able to zoom and leave the fonts at print (actual) size.

4. In the Utility Drawer, there should be an easy way to expand/collapse all levels. All exposed levels should be Hoisted when selected. Hoist is a great feature.

5. The Page Setup settings and the settings in the print dialog should be consolidated. It seems like all of these settings should be in one dialog with options to save a default or even better, multiple presets. Having to configure the printed output every time is needless.

I'm sure we'll find more, but so far, we really like this app. It looks like it's going to work for us and I'm really looking forward to the next release.

Also...I cannot find any documentation of what the Styles View and the little white boxes do. Can someone point me to this. More weirdness....can't figure it out.

Finally, please understand we've been using this product for exactly 10 hours...so....be nice.

Thanks everyone and especially you moderators.

Quote:
4. In the Utility Drawer, there should be an easy way to expand/collapse all levels.
Select all levels, click in the outline, View->Expand|Collapse All

Quote:
Also...I cannot find any documentation of what the Styles View and the little white boxes do. Can someone point me to this. More weirdness....can't figure it out.
Did you find the OmniOutliner manual? http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof...3.0-Manual.pdf

Also worth checking out are the screencasts, particularly the part on styles. http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnioutliner/videos/