The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Do projects already repeat? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am just wondering -- is there any functionality already in place concerncing repeating projects?

At the moment, I have an experimental "daily review" project with a repeat setting of 1d from the completion date (for the project itself, _not_ the individual actions). My understanding is that if I check off the last action contained in the project, the next day either a new instance of the project is spawned or all actions in the project revert to available. (I'd much prefer the second behaviour as I do not want to keep a record of routine projects, but after all, I could set up an AppleScript to delete them).

At this point, however, nothing happens. Is this just missing functionality (no problem there) or am I getting something wrong?

Klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckes View Post
I am just wondering -- is there any functionality already in place concerncing repeating projects?

At the moment, I have an experimental "daily review" project with a repeat setting of 1d from the completion date (for the project itself, _not_ the individual actions). My understanding is that if I check off the last action contained in the project, the next day either a new instance of the project is spawned or all actions in the project revert to available. (I'd much prefer the second behaviour as I do not want to keep a record of routine projects, but after all, I could set up an AppleScript to delete them).

At this point, however, nothing happens. Is this just missing functionality (no problem there) or am I getting something wrong?
Klaus,

Repeats on projects don't seem to be working yet. Note though that projects do not auto-complete. This is because OF doesn't assume that you've already identified every task for a project. Checking off the last task may just mean that it is time to think of another task. So in OF you have to explicitly mark the project complete by right-clicking on it.

I think it is very likely that once repeating projects are working they will create copies. That's how repeating action groups work now. For checklists like daily reviews, I'm currently using OmniOutliner. You could have a repeating singleton task in OF that links to the OO checklist. (I actually keep daily reviews as appointments on my calendar.)

Curt

I can't wait for auto-repeating projects.

There are a ton of "tasks" that I do in conjunction with each other that are really just a project, but until they repeat every x days/months/weeks I have to keep them in a bigger project.

BZ

Repeating projects should work in the build posted a few minutes ago.

I just filed a bug report on this. OF crashed on me when I "checked off" my repeating test project.