The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Good way to sync OO between iPad and Mac Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What benefit does Omni get from you using their free-to-you-not-free-to-them solution? They provide it as a convenience to those who don't have an alternative.

Hi

I read this post on using the Omni sync server with interest but I'm not sure how I can use this in off-line mode. I am assuming that I need to be connected to see my "sync" files. This is not a good solution as I will then have to manually copy my files to use off-line.

Do you have any advice on this?

Also, I would be happy to just use iTunes sync but it doesn't seem to work for bi-directional sync. Changes I make on the iPad version of OO are not reflected back on the Mac side.

I've been trying to sync OmniOutliner documents following Myrrh's instructions but I am unable to connect to the OmniServer from my Mac.

I "Connect to Server" using the "Go" menu on my Mac and then am asked for a Name and Password and I enter my OmniServer information and I get a dialog that says that I am unable to connect to server.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I have been able to establish a connection using OmniOutliner on my iPad. I have been using OmniServer for my OmniFocus information. Any ideas?

TIA

What's the exact server address you're entering? It should be https://sync.omnigroup.com/username

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
What's the exact server address you're entering? It should be https://sync.omnigroup.com/username
Yes, that's the address I'm using. After trying to Connect, I get a standard "Enter your name and password to connect to "sync.omnigroup.com" dialog, asking me if I want to connect as a "Guest" or "Registered User" with Name: and Password: fields to fill in.

I tried entering my OmniServer User Name and Password into the dialog above and I still cannot Login.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardripley View Post
Yes, that's the address I'm using. After trying to Connect, I get a standard "Enter your name and password to connect to "sync.omnigroup.com" dialog, asking me if I want to connect as a "Guest" or "Registered User" with Name: and Password: fields to fill in.

I tried entering my OmniServer User Name and Password into the dialog above and I still cannot Login.
Any help please!

Thanks,

RR

Try putting a trailing '/' on the URL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Try putting a trailing '/' on the URL.
That almost does it. My Mac tries to connect but is unable to... just sits there spinning with a "Connecting..." message. That's further than I've gotten before.

:confused:

Now try changing "sync" to "sync1" or "sync2" or "sync3". Apparently there's a bug in the Finder that doesn't handle some of the magic done behind the curtain to split the load over a handful of servers.

That did it! Thanks very much. Using OmniServer (WebDAV) is not a very elegant solution but it will do for now. iCloud, DropBox or both anyone?!?