The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus PC Desktop? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I bought OmniFocus for my iPhone and am excited about the application. I recently converted from the Palm Desktop. I started using OmniFocus on the iPhone and then it seized up and I had to re-install it. I lost all of my work. Now, I dont want to bother again until there is a reliable PC Desktop Application. Is there one in the works, and when will it be available?

Thank you

Never going to happen (probably). OmniGroup is a Mac only development team and are likely to remain that way. They've never coded for Windows and it is somewhat unlikely that they ever will.

However, the solution is to use the WebDAV synching feature to back up your data to an online server, so if there is an issue with loss of data on your phone, you can pull down the server copy.

It's not _entirely_ accurate that we've _never_ coded for Windows. But it was a long, long time ago, and (as a company) it was using NeXT's OpenStep for Windows frameworks. Some of our developers have some Windows experience, but I'm pretty sure no-one here has done Windows work any time recently, and certainly it is not one of our strengths.

OK? How does this work and can you reccomend one? Thank you.

I agree... OmniFocus for the iPhone looks great and the sync capability makes it amazing if you live in a Mac-only world. I (like many) use a Mac at home and a PC at work. It would be great if I could access my OmniFocus data from both computers and the iPhone and keep them all synchronized.

Or being able to access the data online instead of on a PC app would also solve the issue for me. Are there any plans for an online solution of some sort? Maybe something similar to the iPhone app but accessible online? All I'd really want is the ability to view my stuff, enter new tasks/projects, mark them as complete, and change dates.

An online solution has some obvious benefit, and I wouldn't rule it out for the future, but it's not something that we're prepared to do at the moment at least.

I too am on a Mac at home, PC at work, and have the iPhone with me wherever I go. The issue for me is perspective. The iPhone app is great in that I can have it with me wherever I go, which is great for next actions (runway) and project (10k) work. However, it's tough to review a full inventory of my work or the stuff I've committed myself too on the small screen, which is why the desktop app on the Mac is so wonderful. I do my weekly reviews at work however, so I've relegated myself to printing my full project list as a PDF and taking it with me to work when I do my weekly reviews. An online solution would be ideal.

As a side note, is there anyway to automate this printing as a pdf for my weekly review? I.e. set OmniFocus to create a pdf at a set time?

For my purposes, I'm not looking for a full PC desktop, but just a way to capture stuff at work. If there was an equivalent to the quick entry window that I could have on my PC at work, this would let me send things into the Inbox for processing on the Mac or IPhone.

I'm a brand new user, so there's lots I haven't tried yet. I suspect that using the email-in feature will be the way that I do this (capture actions in an email throughout the day, and mail it to myself before I leave), but the quick entry window would be nicer.

What about the web interface that someone developed?
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Interne...s-Web-UI.shtml

A web interface and a Mac running at home would definitely be a good-enough solution for me when I'm not using the iPhone. Are there any plans of integrating a web interface directly in OmniFocus?

I believe that web interface you linked to is the one we originally created. There were issues that led us to dropping it, though we made it available for others to maintain if they wished to. No, no current plans for adding a web interface directly in OmniFocus.