The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Clarification/Behavior about Nearby and Context View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I spent around 5 minutes today trying to get Actions from my Errands:Lowes context to show up using the Nearby function.

Turns out, my Context mode was set to view Next Actions and not Available. Due to the ordering of my lists, the Errands:Lowes Actions were Unavailable. They seemed very available to me since Lowes was like "right there".

After some thinking, it occurred to me what was going on. Since the Location Services of Nearby are based on Contexts, OF iPhone was simply honoring my wish to only display what was strictly available i.e. my Next Actions only.

But, in this case, this really got in my way to Getting Things Done. So I asked myself, and now I'm asking you, when I search for items that are Nearby, am I asking for my Location to trump strict Action availability, or do I really want Nearby to strictly adhere to my Action list ordering? This really is the first moment I've been able to associate a Context so literally to where I am, so I'm learning what I'm asking the tool to tell me.

Not sure really. I do find myself bouncing constantly between Next Action and Available in Context mode of the OF iPhone - too often I think. Since the app is menu driven, there's a lot of bouncing around to get the different views. Today was the first day this feature really burnt some time.

if the actions at lowes truly are available then maybe the projects should not be sequential. For example I have a project to insulate the pipes under the house

The current action is to measure them. The one after that is to buy insulation. So in that case even if I'm at the hardware store I can't buy the insulation because I don't know how many feet to buy. I have other projects where I need things at the hardware store that I can get at any time and these aree marked parallel.

-P

You've given a very good example of when Action availability makes a lot of sense. I have many Actions organized just like that as well.

I suppose, after the fiddling, it's pretty obvious that these Actions I was trying to find were misplaced/misorganized in my Projects list. I'll need to come up with, or be more comfortable with, more parallel and Misc projects.

Cool.