The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus for Mac 1.9 approved! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Still no possibility to sort flagged items. (IE move them up and down)

That's ALL I really wanted for an update

:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobox View Post
Still no possibility to sort flagged items. (IE move them up and down)

That's ALL I really wanted for an update

:(
A problem with any kind of manual sorting option for context mode is that you need to somehow keep a record of the order the user has chosen, both so that it doesn't evaporate if you close the window or quit OmniFocus, and so that the order can be synced to any other OmniFocus clients. Without that, it's a pretty slipshod implementation, in my view. Unfortunately, to add it likely means extending the file format, and suddenly it's a much more involved project than just twiddling the UI around a bit. My guess is you don't see it prior to 2.0 for that reason — they'll want to change the file format once, not twice in quick succession.

On the Mac, you can just drag and drop actions into another application, such as TextEdit, creating a list with your desired ordering. The actions will go over as links, and when you click the links, you'll be taken to OmniFocus and the corresponding action. Doesn't really help if you wanted to work off your iPhone or iPad, but it beats writing things down!

Anyone know if there are any benefits to using Omni Sync Server instead of iDisk sync?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
A problem with any kind of manual sorting option for context mode is that you need to somehow keep a record of the order the user has chosen.... My guess is you don't see it prior to 2.0 for that reason — they'll want to change the file format once, not twice in quick succession.
Hey WHPalmer, thanks for the insight! Totally makes sense what you're saying. I'll keep my fingers crossed for it for 2.0.

Interesting workaround you suggested! Don't think it really makes sense for me, but I had not idea you could to that.

It's really pretty quick to do, and useful in other contexts as well. For example, sometimes I'll want to prune down my flagged list to just a handful of items, but not want to discard the old flagged list and risk forgetting to put something back on it. I bring up the flagged list, select all the actions, and drag the whole lot over to a TextEdit window and save it. Now I've got a record of everything that was on the flagged list, and if I want to reconstruct the list in OmniFocus, I just click on the links one by one, an OmniFocus window opens each time showing me that exact action, and I can flag it, or maybe even do it, if I'm feeling unusually motivated :-)

Think of it as a way to take notes on your OmniFocus database and make lists without disturbing the contents.

The setting only applies to the menu bar and dock icon. Could that be the confusion? (They always appear in the sidebar.)