The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New user! Ongoing projects?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

I'm a self-employed web designer and have just got into the whole GTD method - I've got Dave's book and OmniFocus.

I've watched the screencast vids a few times and think I have a good handle on OF now, but do have a question.

In my projects, I've given items a start and a due date - but when I come to view my 'day' view, if neither date corresponds with one of those then I dont see the project (which is vital as I should be working on parts of the project between the 2 dates obviously).

Am I missing something simple - or perhaps a 'view' I havent tried yet so I can see not only everything that is due and overdue, but also which is 'ongoing'.

Thanks!

If you are in context mode and set the view filter to "available" you should see only things that are past their start date and are "ongoing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
If you are in context mode and set the view filter to "available" you should see only things that are past their start date and are "ongoing".
Thanks Lucas, but its still not happening. I've got projects with a start date that do not show up (and they are assigned contexts etc).

Basically, in 'english' language terms, I need...

"Show me all projects that have start date < today and a due date > today grouped by project ordered by due date"

So i'd like a view where i can see "Due Today" and anything due today in red, alongside any work that is currently 'ongoing' as above listed in the same day (and should appear each day that is > start date and < due date).

Is that possible as that would be perfect 'to-do' list?!

Context mode works for me like you want it to. Can you post a screen shot of your view bar? (Use Cmd-Shift-4, then drag to take a screen shot.)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Context mode works for me like you want it to. Can you post a screen shot of your view bar? (Use Cmd-Shift-4, then drag to take a screen shot.)
Thanks Curt... here's the bar...

EDIT: hmmm... its shrunk it a bit - you can just about make it out. Let me know if you need a bigger version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	952  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboreham View Post
Thanks Curt... here's the bar...

EDIT: hmmm... its shrunk it a bit - you can just about make it out. Let me know if you need a bigger version.
To get what you want, make sure you are in Context mode (View → Context Mode), going from left to right, set the View Bar to:

- Remaining contexts
- Group by Project
- Sort by Due Date
- Show Actions with Status Available
- Any Duration
- Any Flagged Status

If that doesn't display what you want, then perhaps you could post a couple of screen shots showing an offending project in Project mode and showing what you're seeing in Context mode that doesn't meet your needs.

Curt