The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Listen to audionotes on Mac? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have recorded a large audio note on my iPhone. How do I listen to it on my Mac? I do not see the clipping in the notes section either.

Thanks.

If you have successfully synced iPhone and Mac since recording, the action should have an attachment called Audio.caf in the notes field. Double-click it to launch Quicktime Player, or drag it to the desktop and open it there from Quicktime Player (for a while there were some problems with the former approach in some cases).

Thanks whpalmer4. I have recently setup my MobileMe and OF so I could sync my MacBook and iPhone. Seems I have been more trouble this way then my way before of using WiFi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitions2o View Post
I have recorded a large audio note on my iPhone. How do I listen to it on my Mac? I do not see the clipping in the notes section either.

Thanks.
Hi Ambitions2o,

I wouldn't recommend recording lengthy audio within OmniFocus.

In the past I've found that large audio files recorded within OF often won't sync and, on the iPad, can't be emailed, probably because of the file size limitations imposed by most networks, even wifi for some reason proves hit-or-miss.

The quickest way to get a stuck audio file out is to physically sync your iPhone to iTunes and in the iPhone's App panel scroll down to File Sharing > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Documents > [recording.caf] > Save To.

I'd suggest giving Apps such as Dictamus or Audio Memos 2 a try, as they can hold serious quantities of sound within themselves or allow you to copy your audio onto FTP and WebDAV servers, such as iDisk or Dropbox, rather than burden OF with them as attachments. I then put a link into the notes section of an OF action which I can then click and have the file play back within OF on my iPhone.

In my case, I use Dictamus for voice as it works well with Dragon's voice recognition software and Audio Memos 2 for everything else. Although Dictamus initially appears the more expensive option, Audio Memos 2 does make you pay by in-App purchase for each individual feature you wish to unlock. Caveat Emptor!

If you want further info. on any of the above, don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-10-28 at 12:58 AM..

I haven't had any problems with audio attachments of 30 minutes or so. It does take a while for the initial sync, but that seems like an unavoidable consequence of writing a large file to the cloud. Doing otherwise means either I don't get a backup right away or I have to lug a Mac with me (a bonjour sync will be much quicker than one to the cloud).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I haven't had any problems with audio attachments of 30 minutes or so. It does take a while for the initial sync, but that seems like an unavoidable consequence of writing a large file to the cloud. Doing otherwise means either I don't get a backup right away or I have to lug a Mac with me (a bonjour sync will be much quicker than one to the cloud).
You may well be right, whpalmer4, as I haven't gone back and tested this in recent releases of OF for iPhone. I can't remember if you're using MobileMe for syncing, it may well be a problem with that.

I do seem to recall, however, that this issue appeared limited to sound files, large PDFs for example, didn't have a problem syncing but audio did, even over wifi.

Also, I guess I've just got used to using other Apps that offer more features than OF can, or should, offer within itself, ie. Camera+ or Pro HDR, Dictamus or Audio Memos 2. In the past, I used to stuff OF with attachments (still do on occasion!) but now prefer to have such Apps dump a copy onto iDisk so I have a backup and use iDisk's share feature to add a link into the notes field of OF. I've found that OF opens c.80% of such linked file types within its internal browser and the other 20% get sent over to GoodReader, etc. I find, this way, I keep the size of my OF database down to the minimum for fast cloud syncing.

As always, YMMV. :)

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-10-28 at 12:05 AM..

Out of sheer curiosity, endoftheQ, have you tried out our Sync Server?

I haven't. I was tempted. I'm certainly not a fanboi of all things Apple.

OK, Bill, you can stop laughing!

Derek, I've stayed with iDisk because in addition to OF syncing, it gives me a place to store associated files, such as audio, pics, reference material, presentations, etc. That feature, combined with the ability of the iDisk App to give me a link to paste into the notes field of an action which OF can then open within it's internal browser, has meant that I've stuck with it.

However, if there's a better way, I'm always happy to learn. :)

ASIDE: Just realised, I've so turned an OF Mac thread into an OF iPhone one. I'll lay good money that Brian's gonna limit me to only posting in the Omni Lounge any second now!