The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A Sidebar Worthy of Omni Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have seen a couple threads lately about missing features in the sidebar. These shortcomings have been on my mind for a long time too. So I sprang into action and sent the following email to the Omni Ninjas.

Please support the cause by doing the same (at least for the items that you agree with).

Compared to the equivalent controls on the iPhone version, the landscape orientation sidebar contains little useful information. Some examples (compared to iPhone):

1. Projects - The sidebar displays only names of projects and folders. Missing useful information includes: icon showing folder vs. project (and project icon showing whether it's a single action or regular, and active, on hold, etc.). Additionally, iPhone project lists show items remaining, number due soon, number overdue (in small text along the bottom of each Project) and a total overdue number over to the right, where the '>' is. I know that all of this information is available in the scrolling project/action list to the right of the sidebar but the sidebar remains useful at a glance, especially since I would need to scroll down a LOT to see that info for each folder/project.

2. Contexts - the same is true here. I'd like to see the same consolidated detail at each level in the sidebar as I drill down through contexts.

3. Forecast - the sidebar at the top level shows total number of overdue plus due soon. Why not split them into separate counts, orange and red (similar to the iPhone having separate Due Soon and Overdue perspectives). In fact, small text details that might include a count of all future due as well.

4. Review - the sidebar in the Review view just lists names of projects. Again, would like to see icon for project type (single action or regular, and active, on hold, etc.). And there could be text with number of actions, number due, etc. Or maybe there is opportunity to give details on length of time since last review.

5. Review - another nitpick is that I don't like that the Review list is shown as a flat list. If the projects are organized in folders it would be nice to let me drill into that structure much like the sidebars in Projects work. That would give me an opportunity to concentrate my review on a single folder (Work vs. Personal for example) if I wanted to limit my focus.

The above is a long list but I think it makes sense to consider making the sidebar more functional as a single uber-feature request.

+1

I've actually emailed this in (twice).