The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Date Parsing: Natural Language, Relative Date Options Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I noticed that "tonight" has its own internal definition as a time (11 PM when I tested). Is this value relative to what "today" is set for? (My default due date is 5PM.) If not, is it possible to redefine it?

Additionally, is it possible to have the term "morning" defined so that I can use "tomorrow morning" as a due date? And it is possible to also have phrases such as "tomorrow night", "Thursday night" and "Saturday morning" defined? I know you can specify the times but I really like the idea of a vaguer term such as "tomorrow morning" automatically being translated into a date.

Thanks!

I too would like to redefine "tonight" as 6PM, so I don't have to see the task popup on my overdue list until I get home from work. Can the default be user adjustable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poenitentium View Post
Hi,

I noticed that "tonight" has its own internal definition as a time (11 PM when I tested). Is this value relative to what "today" is set for? (My default due date is 5PM.) If not, is it possible to redefine it?

Additionally, is it possible to have the term "morning" defined so that I can use "tomorrow morning" as a due date? And it is possible to also have phrases such as "tomorrow night", "Thursday night" and "Saturday morning" defined? I know you can specify the times but I really like the idea of a vaguer term such as "tomorrow morning" automatically being translated into a date.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
I've thought about this, it might turn up someday as "start+5"/"S+5"/"T+5" or something.

Just thinking at this point, but I think it would be nice to have.
Whatever happened to this idea?

I think it would be nice to have

start + xd or due - xd as a way to enter due or start date relative to start or due date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Whatever happened to this idea?

I think it would be nice to have

start + xd or due - xd as a way to enter due or start date relative to start or due date.
This is working.

You can easily put a start date by tabbing to the start date column, then type:
tod for today
tom for tomorrow
mon, tue, wed, thu, fri, sat for any dat of the week
+1m, +2w, +1y, for adding time to today's date.
+1d, +2d

I think what is being asked for here (I know it is something I want, at least) is the ability to specify a relative date. For example, this action is due 3 days after it first becomes available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
This is working.

You can easily put a start date by tabbing to the start date column, then type:
tod for today
tom for tomorrow
mon, tue, wed, thu, fri, sat for any dat of the week
+1m, +2w, +1y, for adding time to today's date.
+1d, +2d
Yes, this is true, but that's not what I was asking. What I was asking is if I put 3/2/10 as the due date, I could enter D - 2d for 2/28/10 as start date, or if I put 3/1/10 as the start date, I could enter S + 2d for 3/3/10 for due date. This is not currently available. I would think the first scenarios is more common than second but both will be useful.

Just got a reply from OG that this is in the feature request, but not yet implemented.

Last edited by ksrhee; 2010-02-26 at 06:25 AM..

Ahh... I didn't read carefully enough.

It seems like there are two requests here.

One for an inline date calculator. So if there is a start date already entered of
Feb 26, 2010, and I type in +2d. Then the date will be changed to Feb 28, 2010.

And the other is to assign a relative date based on completion.
Completion +2d.

Both great suggestions. My apologies for the extra noise.

Unless I'm missing something here, why would you want a date relative to completion? If it's to repeat the task, then that's already there in the repeat settings in the inspector (start again, due again and repeat every).

That said, the ability to specify a relative date for start and due dates would definitely be a good idea provided the relative date is stored as a formula/calculation and not just converted to a static date. While entering "S+3d" might be a handy shortcut, I can generally do that in my head so there's no that much point. On the other hand having a scenario where adjusting the start date could also adjust the due date would be a useful feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
Unless I'm missing something here, why would you want a date relative to completion? If it's to repeat the task, then that's already there in the repeat settings in the inspector (start again, due again and repeat every).

That said, the ability to specify a relative date for start and due dates would definitely be a good idea provided the relative date is stored as a formula/calculation and not just converted to a static date. While entering "S+3d" might be a handy shortcut, I can generally do that in my head so there's no that much point. On the other hand having a scenario where adjusting the start date could also adjust the due date would be a useful feature.
Here's an example:

Workout project repeating
-workout at gym
-workout at gym + 2 d after action becomes available
-workout at gym + 2 d after action becomes available

Hmm... now that I think about it. There is the option to repeat action after start date. so.. in the current version.

workout project
-workout at gym start:today due:today repeat:start again 2 days after completion

This allows flexible repeating tasks.

I imagine there are examples of tasks that are not repeating where one may want a start or due date 2days after the task becomes available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
Hmm... now that I think about it. There is the option to repeat action after start date. so.. in the current version.
Exactly, which is why I was confused. I use tasks with start date based repeats regularly. :)

In fact, if you're repeating by start date or due date, OF is also clever enough to adjust the other date accordingly in the new task. For example, if I have a task that started yesterday and is due on Sunday set to start again after 3 days, then if I complete that task today, the next task would have a start date of Monday and a due date of Wednesday.