The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Problem with repeating tasks in sequential lists Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi,

I would like to configure a project in OF to help me pay my electricity bill on time. Here's the project's tasks [with their statuses]:

1. Wait for arrival of Hydro-Quebec bill by e-mail [active; next action]
2. Pay amount of bill online [waiting on previous step]
3. Enter expense into accounting spreadsheet [waiting on previous step]

In step 1, the e-mail comes at the earliest on the 20th of the month, so I put that as the start date. It comes every month, and so I set a 1-month repeat based on the assigned date. So far so good.

Step 2 can only start once step 1 is complete, so I make the entire project a sequential list. I also set the due date for step 2 to be the 20th of the following month, which is when payment is due. I also set this task to repeat based on the assigned date.

Step 3 has no start or due date, but like the others, is given a 1-month repeat based on the assigned date.

The problem now is that when I mark step 1 as complete, it creates a new task right away, right under the old step 1. My list now looks like this:

1. Wait for arrival of Hydro-Quebec bill by e-mail [completed]
1. Wait for arrival of Hydro-Quebec bill by e-mail [waiting to start]
2. Pay amount of bill online [waiting on previous step]
3. Enter expense into accounting spreadsheet [waiting on previous step]

Thus, I never get to step 2, since step 1 keeps creating repeats of itself which inhibit the start of step 2!

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Ideally, I would like the new step 1s to be created after step 3.

Thanks,
- Anthony