The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus should be FREE! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd really like Omni to release OmniFocus for the iPad and iPhone in lite versions, say limited to 20 actions, much as other To Do/GTD developers have done.

At the moment, I'm reluctant to recommend OmniFocus because with such a premium price point, in comparison to other To Do/GTD apps, if it doesn't suit then a new user might feel I've encouraged them to waste their hard earned dosh.

OK, I appreciate that Omni offer a 30-day refund, but that involves the user in a lot of hassle and loses the Omni Group 30% of the refund to Apple.

If there were lite versions then, along with free trials of the desktop and MobileMe, I'd feel it worth suggesting that users looking for a To Do/GTD system or thinking of switching give it a road test to see if it meets their needs and is worth their investment.

Do you have some reason to think that they failed to consider this option? It is hardly an unprecedented concept :)

My experience on the Mac with complex programs like OmniGraffle has been that it is more difficult to get a good feel for the program's strengths and weaknesses with the 20 items or fewer trials. It is inconvenient that the App Store doesn't provide for limited duration, fully functional trial editions, but given the choice of a limited functionality trial version for an expensive app or no trial, but a 30 day MBG, I would feel safer with the latter approach. The 30% refund penalty gives them extra incentive to provide useful marketing materials, pursue arrangements for having it available on demo units at the Apple Store, etc.

I agree it is a shame that the App Store doesn't allow Apps to expire, but it doesn't so the only alternative is to cripple the feature set (yuk!) or impose a limit on the number of actions that can be entered (say <50, if that helps).

OK, the 30-day MBG is brilliant, no argument about that - BUT! - that doesn't mean I want to put a friend or colleague in the position where they have to front the investment and then involve themselves in the hassle of getting a refund. The result? I don't recommend OmniFocus... is that a good thing?

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-31 at 05:55 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Don't know.
Well, that's a first! :p

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-31 at 09:43 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You can delete your post if you like by clicking the Edit button, then choosing the right option in the top section...
Thanks Bill, sorry I couldn't resist leaving a smidgen behind! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Thanks Bill, sorry I couldn't resist leaving a smidgen behind! :)
Funny guy. Let's hope my next helpful tip to you doesn't "accidentally" erase your data :p