The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2 Go (iPod export) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm looking for feedback on a script I'm writing that will export your OmniFocus database to your iPod's Notes section. (Just like I used to have for KGTD) I'm not ready for testing yet, but I'm hoping to get some info from y'all about what information you think would be useful to carry around with you. For example:

Contexts: All, active, only those with tasks?

Tasks: All, incomplete, available, next?

Projects: All, active, started? Do you even need projects on a read-only portable device?

What about the Inbox? Does that belong in your pocket?

What about metadata for each? Are start/end/due dates necessary? Notes? Repeating info?

Should hierarchy be maintained, so tasks appear with their sub-tasks, etc.? (Only relevant if you think Projects are important; a context-driven export wouldn't ever see sub-tasks)

Keep in mind that the iPod notes interface is VERY plain. Small screen, no formatting, etc. Pretty darn bare-bones. So more data can conceivably get very confusing.

Let me know what y'all think, and watch this thread if you're interested. I should have some alpha versions up for testing before too long.

Last edited by iNik; 2007-11-26 at 03:27 PM..

Actiontastic had project export and it seemed like overkill .
I'd be happy with just contexts and the actions in each , and only the contexts with tasks ..

Ipod review is just a quick , let me glance at my list while I'm out and about etc ..

I think including metadata would get way too confusing..

If you need some feedback on iPod export have a look at this thread.
Sync to iPod script

You can take the script as a starting point and bring it further if you want.

Rod

Rod, thanks for the link. I didn't realize somebody already did all this work.

My approach to this is sort of different than the one you took, but looks fairly similar in the end result. Always neat to see someone else's approach to a problem.

As it stands today, I have project and context exports working. The formatting is dreadful, but usable, so it's really just notifications, automation (so it syncs every time you mount your iPod), and error handling before I have a first release.

I'm also working in a basic export-to-html option, which uses the same iPod stuff, but adds HTML headers. That will make it easy to have a regular export to, say, an iDisk, that's browseable from anywhere with access to the 'net.

hi.
exporting from OF to iPod is a great idea and I was using Rods script for a while, but the main problem I found was that the script exports either all contexts or "next" contexts.. and what I need is to be able to export all "available" contexts .. otherwise tasks in parallel projects are not visible and that makes the use of this very limited.. so if this would be possible with your script, I'd be the first one to cheer wildly:)))
and the automatic syncing + html export included sounds also great!!