The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Are there any example sites? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just started from scratch on GTD a week ago, and while trying to sort through my contexts and my project folders I wondered if the users on this forum would like to share the way they use OF?

Right now I use only three folders in my project wiew:
  • Private
  • Work
  • Webdesign

And in my contexts they are almost standard with the online and Email removed from my mac because I often do those actions on my iPod or mobile phone.

Are there any tips & tricks anyone would like to share?

Hmm I like this sharing-methods thing. I have 4 folders (Responsibilities, Education, Personal and Long-Term) and 2 separate single action buckets (shopping list, miscellaneous). I find separating responsibilities and personal pretty useful and intuitive to sort. The former's for stuff people are relying on me to do (pay utilities, household chores, etc) - basically any project that is for the benefit of someone else, or me and someone else. The latter is often more causal, but doesn't have to be. Anything from food shopping to buying presents, job searching and so on. Education in my mind inhabits a space in between personal and responsibility (a responsibility to myself, if you like). It also takes up enough of my time to have its own folder. Long term is self-explanatory; I just find it nice to have those projects around no matter how undeveloped just so they're not weighing on my subconscious all the time like other projects did pre-GTD. One thing I love about OF is that the review system confronts you with your plans, and uses your taxonomical side to make actual decisions about whether or not you really want to do something enough to plan to do it.

As for contexts I have a setup that might only make sense to me, and one that I'm still trying to get right. I find a desk context (or some equivilant) pretty useful, as unlike Home it can float to anywhere you can find a space to work. Aside from the usual context fare (Home, Errands>Downtown, Errands>Library, Waiting etc) I have a rather unusual setup of my computer. I started off having Mac, Mac>Online, Mac>Offline and Mac>Email, but changed to having a Desk context, a Desk>Mac context, and a Mac context, a Mac>Online and Mac>Email. This was because it just wasn't right to have tasks that require a lot of focus spread out among Online and Offline, surrounded by tasks that require an entirely different mood like present-hunting, comparing brands and checking accounts and such.

I've since changed Desk to 'Focused' and Mac to 'Computer' to differentiate it from the other Mac context (besides which, any computer will do for stuff like research, essay writing and reading pdfs) - who needs a desk to work anyway? I'm finding it works pretty well! If anyone feels like they understand what I'm after from what I've said and thinks there's a better way for me to set this up I'd love to hear what you have to say! I wish there was some other way of doing 'Miscellaneous', and there's gotta be a better name for 'Focused', right?

But anyway yes that's my setup.

Last edited by Melan; 2008-10-16 at 06:23 AM..

I actually like the "Focus" context. It is something I've been missing ind my GTD system.

Thank you