The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
iCal integration Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Any advice on resources for coordinating with iCal
 
I think you need to me a bit more specific. What do you want to do?
 
Here's the relevant section of OmniFocus' documentation. If you've read that and still have questions, please ask.

Synchronizing with iCal
An excellent way to liberate your data from OmniFocus and communicate with lots of other applications and devices is to synchronize with iCal. Once your data is in iCal, you can share it in the iCalendar format understood by scads of calendar and to-do applications.
To synchronize OmniFocus with iCal:
Choose OmniFocus ▸ Preferences, then click the Sync icon.
Select the Unsynchronized group in the Calendar list; all of the contexts you're not synchronizing appear in the Contexts list.
Drag context names into the calendar name you'd like to synchronize them with. For instance, if you drag your "errands" context to your "Home" calendar, any actions assigned to your errands context will get corresponding to-do items in your Home calendar in iCal.
From the File menu choose Synchronize with iCal. For each context that you dragged into a calendar, its actions are synchronized to iCal.
Whenever you like, choose Synchronize with iCal to bring iCal and OmniFocus back in sync. New OmniFocus actions in synchronized contexts are copied to the associated calendars in iCal. New iCal to-dos in synchronized calendars are copied to the OmniFocus inbox. Changes to actions on either side are applied to the corresponding items on the other side.

In the Sync preferences, you can change just how the synchronization process works:
Add blocked actions to calendars if this is selected, even actions that aren't available (because another action needs to be completed first, for instance) are copied to iCal.
Add completed actions to calendars if this is selected, even actions that you have already marked complete are copied to iCal.
If actions are deleted from calendars, delete them from OmniFocus If you want to delete actions in iCal and have them be deleted from OmniFocus too, select this checkbox. Otherwise, you can be sure that synchronizing will never delete any of your actions in OmniFocus.
Include each action's context in its calendar item title This prepends your action titles with the assigned context name, like @Office: alphabetize paperweights.
 
is this for todo's only? Or will it work with appointments? If so, I can't get it to show appts from ical in OF.
 
Yes todo's only. You can drag appointments into OF (well, onto the dock icon), but the results may not be what you're looking for.
 
What about bringing items into just the inbox from a calendar that is not setup for syncing.

For instance; I have a calendar that relates to client x: Items from this calendar are synced in via another program. I'd like for these items to appear in my inbox so I can apply the proper context and project. Any ideas, workarounds? Is this possible already?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketjockey View Post
What about bringing items into just the inbox from a calendar that is not setup for syncing.

For instance; I have a calendar that relates to client x: Items from this calendar are synced in via another program. I'd like for these items to appear in my inbox so I can apply the proper context and project. Any ideas, workarounds? Is this possible already?
No, not possible. I've been discussing automatic collection of various things into the inbox elsewhere on this forum, and yours is a perfect example of the kind of thing I have in mind. I've come up against quite a bit of resistance though, probably because I've not explained well enough that it's not all or nothing - it would collect as much or as little as the user wanted.

Mark
 
Thanks. I read through it and am still confused how to use it and how I would use it. I know I use iCal. I know I want to use Omnifocus... but it is confusing.

This is the problem. You guys are Omni geniuses. I am an Omni idiot. Can't you have at least an mp.3 interview where someone like me asks you dumb questions? (better would be your own video, Don McAlister, etc)

Omnifocus is such a great concept that I have recommended it to others, but I need more walk through than what is offered below. Thanks - Steve
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
I think you need to me a bit more specific. What do you want to do?
Ok, let me try. I have a project. I want to inject its actions into a day and time. How do I do that?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Here's the relevant section of OmniFocus' documentation. If you've read that and still have questions, please ask.

Synchronizing with iCal
An excellent way to liberate your data from OmniFocus and communicate with lots of other applications and devices is to synchronize with iCal. Once your data is in iCal, you can share it in the iCalendar format understood by scads of calendar and to-do applications.
To synchronize OmniFocus with iCal:
Choose OmniFocus ▸ Preferences, then click the Sync icon.
Select the Unsynchronized group in the Calendar list; all of the contexts you're not synchronizing appear in the Contexts list.
Drag context names into the calendar name you'd like to synchronize them with. For instance, if you drag your "errands" context to your "Home" calendar, any actions assigned to your errands context will get corresponding to-do items in your Home calendar in iCal.
From the File menu choose Synchronize with iCal. For each context that you dragged into a calendar, its actions are synchronized to iCal.
Whenever you like, choose Synchronize with iCal to bring iCal and OmniFocus back in sync. New OmniFocus actions in synchronized contexts are copied to the associated calendars in iCal. New iCal to-dos in synchronized calendars are copied to the OmniFocus inbox. Changes to actions on either side are applied to the corresponding items on the other side.

In the Sync preferences, you can change just how the synchronization process works:
Add blocked actions to calendars if this is selected, even actions that aren't available (because another action needs to be completed first, for instance) are copied to iCal.
Add completed actions to calendars if this is selected, even actions that you have already marked complete are copied to iCal.
If actions are deleted from calendars, delete them from OmniFocus If you want to delete actions in iCal and have them be deleted from OmniFocus too, select this checkbox. Otherwise, you can be sure that synchronizing will never delete any of your actions in OmniFocus.
Include each action's context in its calendar item title This prepends your action titles with the assigned context name, like @Office: alphabetize paperweights.
I may have responded to the wrong person, sorry if this is a duplicate. So..let's say that I have a series of 5 action steps and want to put them in Thursday from 9-11 am. Or I want to do one step every day at 9:15 am. I don't see how the explaination helps me understand if I can do this or how I would do it. Fondly - Steve
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feature Request: Better Integration with Calendar (iCal) kmp OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2012-09-28 01:09 PM
OmniFocus for iPad and integration with Dropbox/iCal barsiwek OmniFocus for iPad 4 2011-10-18 12:09 PM
integration with iCal hotwheels22 OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2011-04-24 03:03 AM
Integration with ICal? Aldaron OmniPlan General 0 2010-09-19 02:48 PM
Decent iCal integration - URLs linking to OF items. Syncing too. jonmountjoy iCal Sync 0 2007-09-25 11:50 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.