The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

enhancement suggestion: checkbox completion behavior Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
when i check an item as complete, i would like a setting that would allow me to have the program strikethrough all the text for that item and perhaps grey it out.

In the meanwhile, you can write a simple script which applies one style to checked items, and another to unchecked ones.

Sth like:

Code:
property plstGray : {32767, 32767, 32767}
property plstBlack : {0, 0, 0}

tell application id "OOut"
	tell front document
		tell style of (rows where state is checked)
			set value of (attribute "strikethrough-style") to "single"
			set value of (attribute "font-fill") to plstGray
		end tell

tell style of (rows where state is unchecked)
			set value of (attribute "strikethrough-style") to "none"
			set value of (attribute "font-fill") to plstBlack
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-09-09 at 02:22 PM..

Incidentally, you can get a list of the available attributes (placing it in the clipboard) with something like this:

Code:
	tell front document
		set {dlm, my text item delimiters} to {my text item delimiters, return}
		set the clipboard to (name of (attributes of its style)) as Unicode text
		set my text item delimiters to dlm
	end tell
end tell
or, to get some idea of the type of values which these attributes have:

Code:
	tell front document
		set {lstName, lstValue} to {name, value} of (attributes of its style)

set {dlm, my text item delimiters} to {my text item delimiters, ","}
		set str to ""
		repeat with i from 1 to count of lstName
			set varValue to missing value
			try
				set varValue to item i of lstValue
			end try
			if class of varValue is list then
				set strValue to ("{" & varValue as Unicode text) & "}"
			else if class of varValue is text then
				set strValue to ("\"" & varValue as Unicode text) & "\""
			else
				set strValue to varValue as Unicode text
			end if
			set str to str & item i of lstName & " = " & strValue & return
		end repeat
		set my text item delimiters to dlm
		set the clipboard to str
	end tell
end tell
(Looks as if there could be a bug in the reading of the shadow-offset attribute, however)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-09-09 at 02:43 PM..

wow--thanks, rob--i will give your script a try and report back in this thread. i am a total novice at apple script, but have wanted to try it! thanks for taking the time to send your reply!

ok, rob, really stupid question, but how do i incorporate your script into my omnioutliner document?!

Not a stupid question at all. There's a thread here devoted to describing the process. It talks about OmniFocus, but just substitute OmniOutliner wherever you see OmniFocus and you'll be fine.

Once you've followed the directions laid out in the FAQ for getting Applescript set up on your system, you would open the Applescript Editor application, copy and paste the text of Rob's script into a new window in the AE app, and save it with a suitable name in the OmniOutliner scripts directory. Sometimes scripts are posted in such a fashion that you can just download a file and drop it in that directory (the FAQ is targeted at such scripts), but it is more work for the poster to do that and sometimes we don't bother. Once you've saved the script, it should be available for use by invoking it from the Scripts menu in the menu bar (looks a bit like a 3 dimensional script S) while you have OmniOutliner as the foremost application. You can also add it as a toolbar button in OmniOutliner with the View->Customize Toolbar... command.

If you want to change any of the settings, use the Applescript Editor to edit the script and save it again. You can run the script directly inside the editor while tinkering, but be sure to save the final version to the disk if you want the changes to stick.

RobTrew & whpalmer4--you guys rock! thanks for coaching a newbie. i have the script running and it works perfectly! --mjbrej