The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New "one window mode" is not what I want Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Indeed, this is working perfectly.

I haven't dug through this site's code, but it's not working well with OW.
http://www.sonicboomrecords.com/

I have "Links to other sites" set to open in a new tab, Links that create a new window to Open in a new tab instead. I also have ad blocking set to Block pop-up/under windows Only when not requested.

However, when I go to that site after a few seconds I get redirected to a player window. Test this in Safari and it opens a pop-up. The three issues here being:
1. The pop-up is circumventing the "Only when not requested" pref (I know that's not 100% fool proof.)
2. The pref for opening new windows in a new tab is being ignored and not only that but
3. A pop-up window is being opened in the same tab (instead of a new window) which is exactly what I never want to have happen.

This is with 5.5.2 b4.

I have my OW set to:
-- other apps in a new tab
-- links to other sites: work as specified in web page
-- check box unchecked

And then I set the "hidden" pref a troy indicated (to open only blank links in new tab)

The site seems to work ok for me, and I've found these settings to be the best overall, not changing the basic browsing experience -- except for stopping "blank" links.

Yep. For some reason I was thinking the checkbox was for target=_blank and the hidden pref was for all windows. Still, it's not opening the JS window in a new window like the checkbox is set to.

Having JS windows open in new tabs is really annoying. This especially being the case with how OW orders tabs. If I've got 200 in a window and I click on a JS popup in the first tab, the resulting tab is #201. Not so bad except when I close it I end up at #200. I'd use the keyboard to navigate but then the browser window loses focus and I have to grab my mouse anyway.

1.) Forest I can't reproduce what you're seeing. For me the pop-up is trapped. Stupid question i know but are you sure you're in beta 4? There was an issue previously that was causing the pop-up blocker to break if you were forcing pop-ups into tabs.

2.) If you prefer the hidden preference over what we have in the interface please send us feedback via the help menu to let us know. (I Know where everyone that has responded to this thread stands).

I'm running b4.

I quit OW, returned the hidden pref to false then set my settings as described in my previous post. Oddly enough, it did end up the popup blocker. Strangely though, the site is now set to have the popup load onload. Before there was a timer.

Now, I still have an issue. And that is when the page loads I get sent to another tap. Here's a motion screen capture. All I do is hit reload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
1.) Forest I can't reproduce what you're seeing. For me the pop-up is trapped. Stupid question i know but are you sure you're in beta 4? There was an issue previously that was causing the pop-up blocker to break if you were forcing pop-ups into tabs.

2.) If you prefer the hidden preference over what we have in the interface please send us feedback via the help menu to let us know. (I Know where everyone that has responded to this thread stands).
FWIW, I've never activated the hidden preference and I am experiencing the same behaviour as Forrest - JS pop-ups are being trapped in the main window and are not opening their own, even though my JS settings are such that this should be allowed.

Maybe it has something to do with using the options that were available with the prior betas? Would those settings have been retained in this beta even though the UI is no longer there to set them?

I've been having no problem with pop-up windows, using the settings I mentioned earlier:

-- other apps: open in a new tab
-- links to other sites: work as specified in web page
-- new check box UNchecked
-- hidden pref set to "true"

I think this thing has gotten way to complex. For the reasons Forrest points out, why would someone want to force a pop-up window into a new tab? Maybe one miles from its parent in the tab drawer?

I think the important issues are:

1. what to do with outside links, i.e. from Mail
2. what to do when a web page tries to open a new window through target "blank"

In my case, I set the one pref and the hidden pref, and all is well. This is EXACTLY the level of control I get in Safari and Fx.

Combined with the already excellent pop-up blocker to block UNREQUESTED pop-ups, this is fine by me. Providing the bugs Forrest mentions are fixed, of course :-)

I would like to add another suggestion to this discussion. I really like this new "one window" browsing, but there's one thing....

When I click a link that would normally open a new window, it will now open and select a new tab instead - which is great. However, when I now close this newly created tab, the browser will select the tab 'on top' - NOT the tab that I just came from. In other words - if you have multiple tabs open, this new feature is not working very well.

Would it be possible to implement a way, so when closing these 'new window-tabs', the browser would select the tab you came from (similar to e.g. Firefox)? Obviously we don't want this to happen all the time - as in when you have manually created the tabs, or have opened a tab using "command-click".

Yeah, this has been requested elsewhere. Focus should return to the previously viewed tab, no the one above it in the list. I agree. Hopefully, this will change.