The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OW 5.6 Doesn't Remember Window Position Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I launch OW : Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.png
Views:	495
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	358

I put the window in the adequate place: Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.png
Views:	511
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	359

I select Save Window Size, I quit OW and relaunch it : Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3.png
Views:	502
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	360

PS : the inactive window behind the active is a Finder's window.

Last edited by myckmack; 2007-11-04 at 11:37 PM..

The window does get offset from the edge of the window a bit. OmniWeb has behaved like this for quite sometime unfortunately and I do hope that we improve this and window cascading in the future (which I think will help with the problem Forrest is mentioning above).

But if you say OW has behaved like this for quite some time, how come I don't have that problem on my other computer (the iMac that had Leopard Archive and Installed on it) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
The window does get offset from the edge of the window a bit. OmniWeb has behaved like this for quite sometime unfortunately and I do hope that we improve this and window cascading in the future (which I think will help with the problem Forrest is mentioning above).
...Mine doesn't. When I create a new window (with no other windows open), it always appears exactly where I want it to.

I'm a bit confused by what troyb said here, because IIRC in an older thread it was stated by the Omni guys that this was no cascading, but any new window will be positioned with some space left to the edge of the screen. I.e. if you save window size somewhere in the middle of the screen, every window will open at just that point, but not if the saved point is at the edge of the screen.

Anyway, regardless of what's true here, it's annoying; a new window should appear at the saved window position even if it's halfway off the screen, imho. ;-)

EDIT: I just thought that maybe I don't remember correctly ... it could be that it was said that OW cascaded windows if other windows were still there, but if there were no other windows, the moving off the edge took place.

Last edited by zottel; 2007-11-13 at 04:06 PM..

zottel: I'm not sure what you mean exactly. OmniWeb saves the window position but will move the position slightly if you try to save flush against the edge. This is a missfeature I think; you should be able to save it however you like as long as it's on the screen.

I don't think you want to have OmniWeb honor coordinates that are off screen though as that could cause some problems if your resolution for instance were to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel View Post
I'm a bit confused by what troyb said here, because IIRC in an older thread it was stated by the Omni guys that this was no cascading, but any new window will be positioned with some space left to the edge of the screen. I.e. if you save window size somewhere in the middle of the screen, every window will open at just that point, but not if the saved point is at the edge of the screen.
This has never happened to me in any version of OW. My OmniWeb window has always been flush against the left edge of the screen (and I mean exactly flush...down to the pixel), and new browser windows always open in exactly that spot (unless there was already one open, in which case it cascades as I would expect it to). I have never experienced any unwanted offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
This has never happened to me in any version of OW. My OmniWeb window has always been flush against the left edge of the screen (and I mean exactly flush...down to the pixel), and new browser windows always open in exactly that spot (unless there was already one open, in which case it cascades as I would expect it to). I have never experienced any unwanted offset.
I don't know how you have things laid out exactly but a couple things that I've found that change the behavior are:

If the window fills the entire screen, it will respect saving flush against the edges.

Under Tiger, saving flush against the non-drawer side works, but not the top or bottom (Leopard does seem to push off the sides as well as the top and bottom).

In my case, I always have approximately a 10 pixel "space" on the left side of a window, and on the top. So the only edge that touches anything is the bottom edge, which is flush against the Dock. The right edge I spaced so that even with the Tab Drawer open, there's still the same amount of space on that edge. I've always used OW like this, and always set it to save window size.

Running OW on Leopard is the first time I've ever experienced this window shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
I don't know how you have things laid out exactly but a couple things that I've found that change the behavior are:

If the window fills the entire screen, it will respect saving flush against the edges.

Under Tiger, saving flush against the non-drawer side works, but not the top or bottom (Leopard does seem to push off the sides as well as the top and bottom).
My window does not fill the entire screen (it uses about 2/3 of it), though it does use all of the vertical space between the menubar and Dock (which I have on the bottom). I have it set to open flush against the left side (and I have my drawer on the right). And I'm running Leopard. For whatever reason, mine is behaving properly.

One thing that *might* make a difference is that my Dock is pinned to the "start" position -- i.e. it grows outward from the left edge of the screen; it's not centered.

I also have not tried applying "Save Window Size" since upgrading to Leopard; the current size and position were saved back in Tiger.