The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Beachball of Doom Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've got a problem with Omniweb which I've had for a while. It isn't a major problem, but I want to see if anyone knows a fix for it, or perhaps has a patch or some such thing.

I'm running a Powerbook G4 with 1 gig of ram and OS 10.4.10 with all the latest updates.

Anytime I switch tabs in Omniweb, or first scroll down a page, or start to fill out a form etc...the beach ball comes up for anywhere from 3-5 seconds or a little bit more. It has to think about it. Even with just 5 tabs open, it does this. I've tried clearing my cache, etc...to no avail. My other programs don't freeze up and have to think about things and generally speaking, I only have iTunes and Omniweb open. Sometimes I do have ecto open but that is pretty rare these days.

So...what gives? I'm not running a ton of applications. I do have Quicksilver running but it never gave me a problem b efore. Thta's basically the only things I have running.

Is anyone else experiencing this? BTW, I'm not mad or upset really. I love OmniWeb. It's the best damned browser I've ever come across which is why I paid for it. Seriously, I love it. I just was wondering what happened several months back to cause this slowdown?

Any suggestions? I know 1 gig isn't much these days but I haven't touched it much since a long time and I really don't have much else going on inside the computer most of the time as it is.

Hi Banagor, what version of OmniWeb are you using?

Can you take a sample of OmniWeb and attach it as a text document for me?

To do this, launch activity monitor an application found in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. Find OmniWeb in the list and double click on it. In the new window that shows up click on Sample. Save the logs that show up and send the text file over!

It's been happening to me as well, a few times a day. Not sure of a pattern yet. I'll send a sample next time it happens.

I usually get it when I've been working in other applications and I return to OW and open a new window. The new window does take an inordinately long time to open, and the beach ball is there until the window opens.

Hey I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. I can definitely do that for you. I'm using the latest version of omniweb btw. I'll email you the logs later this evening or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
Hi Banagor, what version of OmniWeb are you using?

Can you take a sample of OmniWeb and attach it as a text document for me?

To do this, launch activity monitor an application found in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. Find OmniWeb in the list and double click on it. In the new window that shows up click on Sample. Save the logs that show up and send the text file over!
Hola,

Yes, OW 92262 hung on me today. I got the beach ball of death until I force quite the application. I did manage to collect a sample. Please find it attached.

Payam
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sample of OmniWeb.txt.zip (3.1 KB, 471 views)

I've been getting hangs in OmniWeb too. I took a sample, and it looks very much the same as the one posted by philonous. The most common time for it to come up is on digg.com, although it doesn't happen on every page. The most reliable way to trigger it seems to be to go to a digg page, click on the link to whatever the article is, and then click the back button. Again, it doesn't happen every time, but it happens a lot.

The attached sample is from OmniWeb sneaky peek 92276.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sample of OmniWeb.txt.zip (2.6 KB, 472 views)

Or SPOD, for short.

Spinning Pizza of Death, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Crunch View Post
Spinning Pizza of Death, that is.
Looks more like a beach ball to me.