The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

tasks listed day by day, like on the iphone? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, folks,

I've been searching for someway to get my task list to show up listed by Due Date, WITH the due date showing.

OF, as far as I can find, will show headings like Today, Tomorrow, This Week, Next Three Months. I would like to see that date for each and every day, with the tasks listed beneath. (What I'd really like is a calendar view, but I'll save that for later!)

Lo and behold, I found that the iPhone OF does exactly that. By using Perspectives>DUE, it lists task by date, day by day.

Anyone know of a way to replicate that behaviour in OF on the Mac?

(If you're wondering why, I'm using Mark Forster's newest system that relies heavily on dates. I love the system and I'm trying to make it work a little better within OF).

Thanks!

Currently, your only option in OmniFocus 1.7.5 for Mac is to turn on the display of the due date column. Support for daily group headings does not exist in the Mac version. (Personally, I prefer the OF for Mac display because it's less cluttered, but everyone works differently.)

Another option might be to use AppleScript to generate a text or HTML-based report with the headings you're looking for, but that's a fair bit of extra work.

-Dennis

Thanks for the info--at least now I know I can stop looking for the option.

Boy, I'm being amazed at how hard it is to find a way to get basically a date-book printed layout with tasks on their due dates. Even moving OF tasks into iCal (and beyond), I haven't found an easy way for a page-a-day due task print-out! I may hear my ballpoint a-callin'...

I have a couple of suggestions, admittedly neither is all that decent or even doable, but you never know, so here they are... 1- you might try manually setting your mac's date ahead, but you still wouldn't see one single list of many actions. or 2 - on the off-chance that you know applescript well, or know someone well who knows applescript and can buy them dinner in exchange for a script... you could write a script to process all the info of your actions and generate a day-by-day list, quickly enough to update almost instantly. I'm liking applescript more and more as I learn how to use it, but it's a real investment in time to teach yourself from scratch. anyway, good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions.

In fact, I was just having a look at automator and applescript--and it's way beyond me! I've done a fair amount of googling to see if someone might have already been through this process, with no luck.

Make an ungrouped context mode view sorted by due date with the due date column shown. Print it out, make a slash with the aforementioned ballpoint wherever the date changes...

Ha! There is beauty in simplicity!

That may very well be just what I need.