The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Report on "Synchronize with ical" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I created an "Alpha" testing environment because I wanted to test the synchronize with ical feature. The success of this feature is necessary for my ultimate adoption of OmniFocus.

I am happy to report that in Revision: 87478 things are working beautifully. A new calendar is created for each context. When you cross something off in ical and "synchronize with iCal" it will update omnifocus.

For this feature to be successful, here are the things that I think need to happen:

1) The project will be listed in brackets after the NA. This worked a few days ago, but it would be important to bring it back.

For example, sometimes in a NA, I just write call Bill about the revision. Currently on ical, this would show up:

call Bill about the revision

it would be better if this showed up:

call Bill about the revision [Garcia Project]

2) I think it would be essential to be able to choose which contexts you want to sync with ical. When you are syncing with palm you have a limited number of categories-- maybe 8. I currently have 10 contexts. I never want to see the email or computer context on my palm because I would always work out of omnifocus. I would only want my portable categories-- i.e. "walk" "home" and "errands"

What are your thoughts? What features do you need?

One feature I would LOVE is the option to not publish unavailable tasks to iCal. I tend to have a lot of projects built on the horizon, and I filter them out using a Start Date in the future. This works great working from OmniFocus, but If I'm working off of my Palm device, I am distracted from available tasks by all my forward-dated tasks that have synced to iCal.

Seconded on the [project in brackets] idea, as well. This would help a lot with Template projects - If you need both Make a Widget [Martha's Birthday Present] and Make a Widget [Eddie's Bar Mitzvah] that feature would help distinguish the task.

I've been Syncing-a-go-go with iCal, Missing Sync, and a Palm device ever since the feature hit, and BOY is it working well.

Thanks for today's update, with no more publishing actions from inactive projects!

Last edited by nkeenan; 2007-05-27 at 03:45 PM..

You are right. The ability to not publish unavailable is crucial. Do you know how many calendars can you sync with the palm? Currently, I am experimenting with about 20 contexts: 10 @ agenda with specific people, home-inside, home-outside, work, email, call, etc. I suppose I can trim to the maximum number using the missing sync.

Thanks

Last edited by steve; 2007-05-27 at 06:26 PM..

With iGTD, I can specify which contexts to sync and whether future start dates are to be synced as well (I sync to iCal and then use Missing Sync to Palm). This works beautifully! My Palm/iCal don't get loaded with unnecessary tasks. Also the "call Jim [Phone]" format, when adding a new todo to the Palm or iCal, translates to iGTD with context @Phone. Currently the system works perfectly. I'm hopeful that OF will work this smoothly - it's a deal breaker if it doesn't.

- Pierre

Yes, I'm bottlenecked with my palm device to 10 contexts plus an unfiled (which obviously won't sync with OF). I use missing sync to pick and choose which contexts I want on my phone - I don't sync anything requiring my computer, for example, and tend to sync things like errands and individual agendas.

The not syncing blocked tasks preference was included in this morning's build, and the [projects] note has been included since Sunday! So EXCITING!