The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PO files with txt extension on download Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello all :)

This happened with SP10, and is still happening with SP11.

I download PO files, gettext translation files, routinely from various project sites. These are a special kind of text file, but they _don't_ have a .txt extension: they should end only in .po (Portable Object).

However, in SP10-11, when I download one of these files, instead of getting filename.po, I get filename.po.txt, which messes up my default application(s).

So in order to open and use this file as a PO file, I have to edit the filename and remove the .txt on the end.

This would be like downloading a html file and getting it as filename.html.txt. The application assigned to open .txt files will open it when you double-click, not the one assigned to .html files. Your browser will probably not recognize it as a webpage.

Although UNIX should not bother with file extensions, apparently extensions on downloaded files still affect the filetype assigned.

I have no idea what is causing it. It happens regardless of source site.

Thanks for any help you can offer with this.

btw, does anyone know how I can switch off that silly Finder dialogue which pops up anytime you change the end of a filename and asks you if you really want to do it?

Thankyou. :)

I've noticed one more thing: when I ctrl-click on the file link and choose Download, the original filename.po is shown in the Downloads window, but OW very quickly adds the .txt on the end of the filename. ??

Hi Clytie, Do you have any example pages that we can get at where this happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Hi Clytie, Do you have any example pages that we can get at where this happens?
So many! All the KDE [1] status pages, all the Gnome [2] status pages, all the Debian [3] status pages. Examples below, but once you're on those servers, you can try any of the pages. I ctrl-click on the filename, then choose Download to [default folder chosen for that site]. I had 67 files to update from Gnome yesterday, and had to change the filename for each one individually so I could open them in my translation editor. BIG waste of time. :(

[1] http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk/...base/index.php
[2] http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2...top/index.html
[3] http://people.debian.org/~seppy/d-i/level2/files/vi/