The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I *quickly* re-file a task to another project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi! I just switched back to OmniFocus from quite some time in The Hit List.

What I would like to know is what is the quickest way to move a task from one project to another. E.g. I have a task I put into a project, but when reviewing, I find that I want to move it to my someday/maybe-project. Can I do this using the keyboard? Or do I have to drag and drop? My project list is longer than one screen, so moving it with my mouse is something I would like to avoid.

One of the functions I used the most in THL was the "file" quick-key. What this does is that I type "f" when a task is selected, then a text field pops up where I can start to type the name of a list (project). Pressing enter moves the task to that list.

If you happen to be in context mode and you have the project column active, you can just type in the project column to refile the action to a different project.

The same thing doesn't work in project mode, though. It may be somewhat easier to open up the inspector, which can change the project. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a "move to quick entry" script that would make it a little bit easier to use quick matching on the project names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
If you happen to be in context mode and you have the project column active, you can just type in the project column to refile the action to a different project.

The same thing doesn't work in project mode, though. It may be somewhat easier to open up the inspector, which can change the project. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a "move to quick entry" script that would make it a little bit easier to use quick matching on the project names.
Thanks, I guess I will be using context mode for my review process. I was hoping for a less obtrusive way than using the inspector...

How often do you have to migrate tasks from projects to your someday/maybe list?

Most of my projects run for about a month. There are loose ends that I do not have time for at the moment, but that would be nice to follow up on - these are the tasks that I move to my Someday/Maybe lists (I would love to have a "someday/maybe" *status* for tasks.

Also, I write down stuff I would like to try: software, movies, etc. Even though I have the intention to do these things, I find myself without enough time. These things also get moved to other lists.

Are you using the flag column for anything? If not, you could flag the items while doing a review in project mode, then display all flagged actions in context mode and do a batch change of project using the Inspector. A similar hack using estimated time and grouping might also work.

Curt

Here's how I do this, when I'm in project mode:

I hold down the Command key, and click the Inbox in the sidebar. This makes the Inbox grouping appear at the top of the content window.

Then I drag the task into the Inbox. Because the Inbox is now showing at the top, I can see it up there. In the inbox grouping at the top, both the Project and Context dropdowns are there, so I can select a new project there.

I like this better than using the inspector because the typeahead is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudster View Post
I like this better than using the inspector because the typeahead is better.
I wished for this feature some time ago. Please make the project and context field in the inspector a typeahead field instead of a the popup list box. With already a small number of projects, this list becomes overpopulated and is completely useless.

Thanks.