The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

When is the ETA of Omnifocus 1.8? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
Iam using the sneaky peak 1.8 (v77.57 r134238).

Could you please tell me when the final version 1.8 will be released?

Thx

Probably after OmniFocus 1.0 for iPad ships. 1.8 is still getting development changes added, bugs are being reported, and you've got access to the latest bits (unlike everyone eagerly awaiting the iPad app), so what's the rush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Probably after OmniFocus 1.0 for iPad ships. 1.8 is still getting development changes added, bugs are being reported, and you've got access to the latest bits (unlike everyone eagerly awaiting the iPad app), so what's the rush?
The rush is that beta is beta its has bugs and release version should be quite smooth, many people don't want to be lab rats and be the first to find a bug that deletes their data or makes them miss important appointments....For app like this its very important that you could trust and count on it with important reminders....hard to do with beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueLabel View Post
The rush is that beta is beta its has bugs and release version should be quite smooth, many people don't want to be lab rats and be the first to find a bug that deletes their data or makes them miss important appointments....For app like this its very important that you could trust and count on it with important reminders....hard to do with beta
I've been using bleeding edge versions of OmniFocus for almost as long as it has been possible to do so (July 26, 2007). The number of substantial problems I've encountered this late in the release cycle is about the same as the number of substantial problems encountered with released versions. I haven't encountered any problems that resulted in lost data. It's not that I'm unobservant, either -- a glance at my email shows that I've submitted well over 500 OmniFocus bug reports in that time (one every other day!).

Rushing through a beta test doesn't get you to your promised land of a bug-free release version any faster. Thanks to those of us willing to run the sneaky peek versions, you get a higher quality product, and if there is some feature for which you have a pressing need, you have the option of getting it sooner by running the sneaky peek yourself. Sure, you see the scary warning about how it might eat your data when you go to download it the first time, but if you read the Omni EULA when you load a production release version, section 4 has equivalent language saying that the program may fail horribly and that's your tough luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueLabel View Post
Wouldn't that be what 1.7.5 is for?

whpalmer4 thank you for using beta version and submitting such a large number of bugs. Unfortunately not all of us have the knowledge or time to identify and correctly report bugs.

curiousstranger Yes thats what would 1.7.5 be for? But the original question was when is 1.8 coming out, folowed by whats the rush for it when there is beta.

I do understand company has priorities and its up to them when they do things that they do. My self i will wait for 1.8 a week, two, month, maybe months and hope that its awesome! As i have used 1.7.5 as a demo but i noticed few flaws that really bothered me and if some of them are fixed on 1.8 i will buy if not i will wait for 2.0 unless something better comes along. Like "Things" lol j/k "Things" is as good as my note pad.

Really, I've been using the 1.8 SneakyPeeks for 6+ months and I can't recall a crasher. In pretty much every case, the 1.8 Sneaky Peeks have fewer bugs or issues than 1.7.5. Now while it is still pre-release, and there are the usual caveats, I've found in general that Omni's betas tend to be as stable or more stable than other folks' "release" software.

So sure, you can wait if you want. Or you can ensure you have a good backup and give it a try. It's not so bad ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I totally second that, and I've never encountered any problems with the Sneaky Peeks either, and have never lost data using any Omni product in any case.

True, while I do take issue with some half-baked workflow changes that were introduced in 1.8 (and which I will not repeat in this thread), this has been an extremely stable revision right from the start: Not a single crash on my two systems since the very first sneaky peeks. Congrats to the developers for this!

So, any word on when 1.8 will be finished?