The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lots of items not showing up in context view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is all very promising but I wonder if the kinks are all out?

Items that show up correctly in context view on both my Macs--are not showing up at all in context view on the iPhone.

They show up in project view on the iPhone--over 100 actions.

Only a total of about 25 actions - in several categories - are displaying at all in context view.

Since the only preference I can set is configured to "available" I don't see what other user setting could account for this.

Suggestions?

You say you're showing your Available actions in your Contexts list, but in your Projects list you're probably showing all of your Remaining actions. Do the rest of your actions show up if you switch Contexts to showing all of your Remaining actions rather than just the Available ones?

Remaining actions include any actions which haven't been completed. Available actions only include actions you can do right now. Actions are considered unavailable or "blocked" if they can't be done right now, i.e. if they're not first in a sequential project, or haven't reached their start date, or are assigned to an inactive project or context, etc.

I just realized that projects are created sequential by default, and perhaps it would be less confusing if they were parallel. You can edit this setting on individual projects, and you can change the default setting for new projects in Data Preferences. We'll consider making parallel the default for future releases.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2008-07-18 at 06:07 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We'll consider making parallel the default for future releases.
Please don't! I think more projects are sequential than parallel myself, plus this would confuse current users who are used to a sequential default and would have to remember to edit the preferences every time they upgrade/update or reinstall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
Please don't! I think more projects are sequential than parallel myself, plus this would confuse current users who are used to a sequential default and would have to remember to edit the preferences every time they upgrade/update or reinstall.
This setting is now stored in the database, so you won't have to remember to set it with each upgrade.

We debated this setting a lot in early 2007, and ended up with a pretty even split between people who thought the default for new projects should be parallel vs. sequential. In the end, we ended up making it a preference.

We don't want people to have to learn the full app to understand what's happening; we want them to be able to take advantage of features as they learn about them. As we've exposed more and more new users to the application, we've come to realize that sequential projects are a stumbling block for many of them: sequential projects and task availability have to be explained before people understand why later actions in a sequence aren't showing up in their "available" lists, and the more we have to explain up front the more people feel intimidated, confused, and frustrated by the tool.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2008-07-20 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Fixed a typo