The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iCal integration Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you want to add them to your calendar as actual events (like appointments), then sorry but it can't be done :( OmniFocus can only add actions to iCal as todo's I'm afraid.

It's a shame, because OmniPlan can do it, though one way only. In fact, OmniPlan allows you to choose whether its tasks get added as events or todo's, which is what I think OmniFocus should do.

Mark

Having my OmniFocus actions in the to-do area is not at all convenient or intuitive. I also would like to see the times in OmniFocus, not just the dates, when I specify a due time as well as a due date.

Hi,

I just stepped up to OF 1.5 and am soooo happy about the OF syncing through MobileMe. I'm wondering if you folks have seen a problem with syncing with multiple instances of iCal. Let me explain how I've been using OF...

I have OF on my MacBook and my office iMac at school. I sync my MacBook OF with iCal and sync iCal (and other stuff) between my MacBook and iMac. Generally I use iCal to do stuff (my context calendars are checked "on" or "off" in iCal depending on where I am) and OF to organize stuff (add todos, set dates and contexts, revise, etc.).

So far I have only OF-iCal sync'd on my MacBook. If I also sync with OF with iCal on my office iMac do you think I'll run into problems?

Andrew

Are you syncing iCal between machines with MobileMe? I think you would only want to do the OF-iCal sync on one machine if so, and let MobileMe sync get the information between different iCal instances. Injecting the same information into the system in multiple places is asking for trouble given how fragile the iCal system seems to be, and I'm not sure I see what it would get you even if it worked perfectly. There'd be a lot more transactions floating around for iSync and friends to reconcile, which will just make it more of a pig than it already is.

The fact that iSync and friends screwed up and duplicated all my calendars and left me with 2,000+ sync conflicts the other day didn't make me cranky, nope, not a chance of that, is there? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I think you would only want to do the OF-iCal sync on one machine if so, and let MobileMe sync get the information between different iCal instances. Injecting the same information into the system in multiple places is asking for trouble
This is exactly right.

You can sync with different iCal calendars on different computers (for example, you might have Home and Work calendars that you sync separately on your home and work computers), but syncing to the same iCal calendar from two different machines is likely to confuse them both.

Has anyone else problems where To Do's will not show up in iCal?

The part of the OS that we talk to to sync with iCal sometimes gets stuck and prevents us from syncing. Contact the support ninjas via email and we'll help you get this straightened out. Thanks!

Thanks. That's what I suspected might happen.