The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Two suggestions for repeating tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just emailed Omni with these suggestions.
Hullo,

I have two suggestions for repeating tasks that I would love to see. I am mainly concerned with the iPhone application, though they both apply to the desktop app as well (especially as repeating tasks cannot currently be created on the iPhone).

I use repeating tasks a lot, for things I need to do fairly regularly but they don't have a specific date to them. Thing is, it's not possible to tell whether a task is repeating on the iPhone - if I tick this off, will it reappear in a few weeks or not? A small icon to signify that this repeats would help - at the moment I prepend [R] to all of my repeating tasks, which works but is ugly and takes up space.

Secondly, I don't need to see most of my repeating tasks 'between times' - lets say I have a task to send software feedback (which I do!) every six weeks; after completion I am not interested in seeing this for at least another month or so. As it stands, it shows up immediately in my "Available" tasks, cluttering up my view of those other tasks that really do need doing. My suggestion here is that if a repeating task is given a start date as well as a due date, then the start date repeats as well as the due date; if a monthly-repeating task is scheduled for 20th October and doesn't start until the 10th, then when it is completed (say, on the 15th October) the next repeat is due on 20th November, but starts on the 10th November (ie it is not available until the 10th).

I hope that these suggestions prove useful to you.
Does anyone agree or disagree? Any further suggestions in this area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoara View Post
Thing is, it's not possible to tell whether a task is repeating on the iPhone - if I tick this off, will it reappear in a few weeks or not? A small icon to signify that this repeats would help - at the moment I prepend [R] to all of my repeating tasks, which works but is ugly and takes up space.
Once synchronization is out of beta, we plan to add repeat indicators to both the desktop and phone, and to add some repeat controls on the phone. (Right now the phone knows how to handle repeating tasks that you set up on the desktop, but there's no way to set them up on the phone itself.)

Quote:
My suggestion here is that if a repeating task is given a start date as well as a due date, then the start date repeats as well as the due date; if a monthly-repeating task is scheduled for 20th October and doesn't start until the 10th, then when it is completed (say, on the 15th October) the next repeat is due on 20th November, but starts on the 10th November (ie it is not available until the 10th).
This is how it works now; most of my repeating tasks are set up this way. Are you seeing something different?