The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting Tasks Within a Project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to view a project with the tasks sorted by Start Date (in ascending order). When adding tasks to an exist project with existing tasks, the tasks just added are at the end of the project rather than getting inserted in proper order based on their Start Date.

I'm in Planning Mode with the following View settings: Ungrouped, sort by Start Date, Remaining, Any Duration and get the following ...
Start Date
Task 1 12/21/07
Task 2 12/26/07
Task 3 3/3/08
Task 4 2/1/08
... where Task 4 was the task just entered.

Last edited by Brian; 2008-01-10 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: fixed a typo in subject

You can drag a task up or down. Yes, new tasks are added at the bottom of the list in a project, but then you can move them to the location you want.

This is going to be one of those SFAQs (=super frequent).

In planning mode, the Grouped By, and Sorted By items in the View Bar should be disabled when a single project is selected, since they have Zero effect. (acting only on collections of projects).

-P

Thanks Pierre, that worked. But is there a way to automatically sort the tasks by Start Date instead of having to manually move them?

I've tried to use the sort function in both Planning and Context and it seems to have limited functionality. Is it something I am doing wrong or is it a feature still under development.

In the Context view, sorting operates on tasks.

In the Project view, the projects are sorted, but the tasks are left in their original order within each project.

If you also have grouping turned on, sorting may not have as much effect as you expect. If, for example, you group by due date and then sort by name, all the tasks due today will be alphabetized with respect to each other, but above all the tasks due next week.

So, to try to answer your question

If you want to see the tasks in a single project sorted by due date:

click on the project in the planning mode sidebar
Focus on it (toolbar, keyboard shortcut, or double click)
switch to context mode
sort by due date

-P

Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
So, to try to answer your question

If you want to see the tasks in a single project sorted by due date:

click on the project in the planning mode sidebar
Focus on it (toolbar, keyboard shortcut, or double click)
switch to context mode
sort by due date

-P
Good idea, but for printouts it would be nice to have that structure for all the projects underneath each other.

Omni-peolpe: Is that "missing feature" request already in your database?

So far, great program!
:)

I tried this sorting resolution, but it does not work in the mac version. I am also using the sneaky peak. Does this feature not work in the sneaky peak version?

I think I figured it out. I had to set the context to "no context" on all the actions. Once I did that, then the sorting worked properly.