The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle for iPad is $49.95? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
That is rough. I mean, I love OmniGraffle and all (own the pro version) but $50 for the iPad version seems a little high.

Oh and PLEASE make the OmniFocus version universal I don't have to re-buy.

BZ

I agree about OmniGraffle. $49.99 is way too high a price when Apple will ship Pages for $9.99, Numbers for $9.99, and Keynote for $9.99.

And it looks like Bento will be $4.99.

I think you have to reconsider here, Omnifolk. :-)

Hmm. If it is less than half as good as the $99 standard mac version, why would you even buy it? But if it is half as good, why not pay half the price? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Púca View Post
I agree about OmniGraffle. $49.99 is way too high a price when Apple will ship Pages for $9.99, Numbers for $9.99, and Keynote for $9.99.

And it looks like Bento will be $4.99.

I think you have to reconsider here, Omnifolk. :-)
Betcha they wouldn't get ten times the sales if they reduced it to $5.

Amorya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythefool View Post
Hmm. If it is less than half as good as the $99 standard mac version, why would you even buy it? But if it is half as good, why not pay half the price? :)
Why? A whole bunch of reasons.
  1. If you're old enough to have bought vinyl albums, and 8-tracks, and cassettes, and CD's, and now MP3's, you get tired of paying list price for the same thing over and over again.
  2. An iPad is *not* your primary computer. It's an accessory. It's handy, but you can only do so much on it. It's designed in such a way that you need to sync it to a primary computer (on which you've already paid for OmniGraffle).
  3. While Version 1.0 certainly costs OmniGroup a fair amount of time & money investment, future versions of all their apps will clearly be designed with phones, iPads, and Macs in mind. The code base will surely have more shared code. I'm not saying it will be trivial, but certainly the cost of producing the next version of OmniGraffle for Mac/phone/iPad will be much less than version 1.0 because they will be designing for all 3 at once.

Sure, I don't think OmniGraffle for iPad should be free. That's crazy! They have to make some money on it, of course.

But as long as iPads are accessories to your main computer, you need to price the software as an accessory to the main product.

I can't speak for others, but as far as I'm concerned, if it's significantly more expensive than Pages, Keynote, Numbers (or Bento), then I won't buy it.

Last edited by Púca; 2010-03-30 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorya View Post
Betcha they wouldn't get ten times the sales if they reduced it to $5.
I think they would.

But I'm not saying $5 is the sweet spot for OmniGroup. I'm sure it's higher than that. $9.99 is certainly the minimum they should consider charging, but again I'd guess they'd make more money at $14.99 or $19.99.

But $49.99?

I really doubt it would do well at that price point.

Last edited by Púca; 2010-03-30 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: forgot a word

I agree that Apple is setting the standard for prices at $9.99, but OmniFocus for the iPhone is $19.99.

That being said, I think that iPhone + iPad versions should be under $20. $50? I can buy 10 apps on MacUpdate for $50.

OmniGroup, reconsider please.

BZ

Might I suggest reserving judgment until we actually announce a price? At that point we'll also announce what the product is and can do—which is the context you'll need, if you want to judge whether it's worth its price for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Púca View Post
Why? A whole bunch of reasons.[*]If you're old enough to have bought vinyl albums, and 8-tracks, and cassettes, and CD's, and now MP3's, you get tired of paying list price for the same thing over and over again.
So don't buy it again. If it isn't worth the purchase price to you, don't buy it.

I'm pretty sure this version of OmniGraffle isn't the same thing. I just fired up OmniGraffle on my Mac, tried using my fingers on the screen to manipulate a drawing, and nothing happened. I suspect a different result will be had with the iPad version!
Quote:
[*]An iPad is *not* your primary computer. It's an accessory. It's handy, but you can only do so much on it. It's designed in such a way that you need to sync it to a primary computer (on which you've already paid for OmniGraffle).
Doesn't matter if the iPad is my primary computer or not. If I can run OmniGraffle on it, I may not need a copy of OmniGraffle on any other device. A $50 price point starts looking very attractive! $50 is expensive compared to typical App Store pricing, to be sure, but someone who hasn't had sufficient justification to shell out $100 or more for a copy of OmniGraffle for the Mac now has a much cheaper alternative. If it is a well-done iPad app, they may pick up a lot of new customers, and existing customers who become iPad fans will probably pick up a copy as well if word gets out that it is an enjoyable experience to use it. This same argument applies to OmniFocus, OmniPlan, OmniOutliner -- if the iPad app is done well, it may be a perfectly reasonable standalone application even though the iPad itself currently requires you to have another computer.

Quote:
[*]While Version 1.0 certainly costs OmniGroup a fair amount of time & money investment, future versions of all their apps will clearly be designed with phones, iPads, and Macs in mind. The code base will surely have more shared code. I'm not saying it will be trivial, but certainly the cost of producing the next version of OmniGraffle for Mac/phone/iPad will be much less than version 1.0 because they will be designing for all 3 at once.
First, I don't think we're ever going to see OmniGraffle for iPhone/iPod with the current screen sizes. Second, based on my observations as an OmniFocus iPhone/iPod beta tester, a large amount of the work done for the release was specific to the iPhone/iPod, and in my opinion it is unlikely to be much different for any other app where the UI on different devices differs to an appreciable degree. OmniFocus on the iPhone is very different from OmniFocus on the Mac. Interacting with a multi-touch tablet device is inherently different than interacting with a mouse and keyboard driven device, and any new features that are reflected in the user interface are going to require substantial amounts of work to bring them to all of the target platforms. It is not inconceivable that the UI work (in aggregate) might be the bulk of the effort for any given feature.
Quote:
But as long as iPads are accessories to your main computer, you need to price the software as an accessory to the main product.

I can't speak for others, but as far as I'm concerned, if it's significantly more expensive than Pages, Keynote, Numbers (or Bento), then I won't buy it.
Well, then don't buy it! I prefer a more rational decision-making process: will this tool recover (or otherwise justify) its cost in a reasonable time frame while making my life easier/better? The vendor's reasons for choosing a particular price may have very little to do with your reasons for purchasing the product, and how the cost compares with other applications (particularly other applications that you may not be purchasing) should only matter when trying to decide between two competing choices. For example, Apple has an interest in low prices for those apps in the hopes of selling more hardware, on which they make a healthy profit, but Omni does not.

I kind of agree with Ken...(wait and see) While i don't want to PAY 50 bucks for another version, I have come to rely on the program to get stuff done.

I am going to wait until the ipad actually comes out and the program actually comes out. If it allows me to take my ipad into meetings and avoid paper and get more things done faster, I'm in!

I think that if we can buy an ipad and if we use omni products, we probably all make enough that 50 bucks can be made up pretty quick in terms of time savings.

If I cant be more efficient with an ipad and the new omni, then i dont really need an ipad either... :)

just my two cents... (or 50 bucks)...