The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What are you using OmniFocus for (what do you track)? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all -

Obviously it's great for tasks and organizing projects and such... but what else are you using it for?

I'm working on defining business requirements for a few applications. I'm wondering if OmniFocus would be a good tool for something like this. Or would straight up OmniOutliner work better? Or something different all together?

Thoughts?

-Tom

For example.... If I'm building a requirements doc, sometimes I'll just start coming up with ideas. I capture those somewhere. Currently, Omnioutliner. Then, once I start getting a good collection of requirements, I like to put those under categories, I guess what OmniFocus calls projects. What I don't do, which may be nice is to be able to then put them into a context of some sort.

Then, if needed, it would be great to pump that up to OmniPlan.

Is anyone doing something like this or am I crazy?

-Tom

I can't imagine what OmniFocus could possibly have over OmniOutliner for building a requirements document.

As for categories and contexts, you can set up custom OmniOutliner columns for that.

You can export OF data as a CSV, and import the CSV into OP (I suggest doing this with an empy OP file). To reverse the process, you should export from OP to OO; and, according to the OF docs, reformat in OO to kGTD format, and then import into OF. Never tried the full round trip myself.

I tend to do initial group (as opposed to individual) project planning in OO anyway; but, other than for initial planning, once you move the data to OP you are committed to keeping it there. IOW, OP does not appear to support ping-ponging the task list back and forth between OO and OP.