The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Clear Formatting for an Invididual Subsection Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've setup an OO document for taking notes while reading a textbook. My OO file contains automatic styles for level 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 rows. For example, level 1 is a large bold style that is numbered "Chapter X." Level two is a smaller italicized style that is lettered "A. Foobar." And so on. These automatic styles work great for setting up the table of contents for my textbook.

I'd like to enter my reading notes into the OO file under each appropriate subsection. Level 6 rows do not contain any formatting and this is ideally where I'd type my reading notes. However, not all passages from the book go to level 6. For example, some chapters may only be a few pages in length and contain no subsections at all. For these sections, my reading notes are level 2 and OO styles them as it would a level 2 heading.

Right now I have to clear those styles manually by selecting my reading notes, changing the font, deselecting italicization, removing numbering, etc. Is there a simpler way to clear the formatting for this individual subsection so they are not formatted as regular level styles?

Thank you,
CT

Hi CT-

If you have the Pro version, you can set up a custom named style and have it overwrite inherited styles when you apply it. To do that, you need to drag it to the selection and hold down the command-key before dropping it.

I'm not sure there's any good way to handle this in the standard version.

I thought of that, but I'm not sure how to create a style that negates options. For example, how can I create a style attribute for "not bold" and "default font size?"

Thanks!
CT

That's what the command-dragging of the style does for you, it negates all applied styles so only what's assigned to the named style appears.

Ah, sweet! That works great, thank you! Is there anyway do to this through a keyboard shortcut?

Not currently but we can certainly look at adding something in a future version.