The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

IPod Touch Database as primary during intial sync operation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I first purchased OF for IPod Touch and proceeded to set up my GTD database of projects, actions, contexts, etc. on the mobile device. I recently purchased the OF Desktop version and want to download my IPod database to the Desktop. My concern is this: During the initial sync operations, will the unpopulated Desktop database take priority and wipe out the fields in my IPod touch database? I'm holding off the initiation of a sync operation until I am certain that the work I've put into the IPod Touch database will be preserved. Any thoughts or helpful hints? Thanks!

Go ahead and enter your sync settings on the Mac, do a sync of the default database to your sync location, and send the settings to your phone.

After OmniFocus for iPhone grabs the new settings, it'll start a sync, see that there's a database already there, and ask you which one you want to use. You want to choose "Local Database"; that puts the database on the phone up on the server, replacing the one that's already there.

Next, return to your Mac and do another sync. You should see the same question you got on your phone. This time, you want to choose "Server Database" - we'll copy the sync database to your Mac and you'll see the information show up.

Basically, the only thing you need to avoid doing is saying "Server Database" on the phone while you're setting things up.

That help?

Thank you, Brian, for your quick reply. Your excellent instructions are most helpful.