The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Flexitime -- dependent projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As a farmer, a lot of my dates are somewhat flexible.

Certain tasks can't happen until we've had that killing frost in fall. Others can't happen until snow is on the ground. Some happen with spring thaw, some with the end of Mud (the season between Thaw and Summer

I think the way to tackle this is to have a project called 'seasons' that is done sequentially, with each item have a start time that puts it a couple weeks before any reasonable occurence. E.g. Thaw is March 1. Snow gone, April 1

Each item independently set to repeat each year. Thus the season project never actually gets done.

Then other projects have a dependency on one of the actions in Seasons.

Not sure how to do that.

Thoughts?

A project can't have a dependency on an action. (Though this is a great example to help us understand why maybe we should add that feature eventually.)

In the meantime, your season-based action could list the projects that ought to be activated, so you can manually go start up those projects.
(Other folks may have less clumsy solutions also.)

I have a few projects like this in mine where I have a planned event which I know repeats on an 8-12 week cycle. It may be 9 weeks but could be 11. So after 8 I get it to start asking "Is it time to start?"

The way I get around the limitation is by having the project set to sequential, with the trigger question as the first action. The main project is then nested as the second action, and this contains the real tasks.

Project - Fall Tasks
- Is it time to start this project? (Repeat Weekly / Daily etc)
- Subproject - Fall Tasks
--- Main Fall Task 1
--- Main Fall Task 2
etc

The first action is set on a repeat either daily or weekly, with a start date to suit when you need the task to trigger. Once it triggers you complete it to get it to repeat the question tomorrow, next week etc. When its finally time to start the project you just delete the task and as its a sequential project it then triggers the sub project below to become available.