The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Start Date/Due Date/Deadlines Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have tried to use the start date to keep the due date only for "the earth is going to be destroyed if I do not finish this action", but it really messed up everything. Working with start dates, I have to give a start date to every action, otherwise, actions with no start date appear in the "Start any time" tab on top of the list. Confusing and time consuming.
I usually work with due dates ("It would be good if this action is finish by this date"), but it is true I can miss a "real" due date ("and the earth is going to be destroyed"). I am using flags to single out due dates that are Deadlines, but I would like to have a tick box in the inspector, close to the due date, to tick those due dates that are Deadlines.
The system depicted here (http://www.gyronix.com/grm/SettingStartAndDueDates.html) (combination of Star Date/Due Date/Deadline) fits perfectly in my scheme.

The typical GTD response to your situation is that a sorted list is unnecessary if you are using contexts "correctly". The intent is for you to actually consider all the tasks available in a particular context, and intuitively know which one to perform next. Understand that "intuitively knowing" includes considering things like time available, energy available, your current level of creativity, and even priority.

OF gives you the tool to add the "time available" dimension to a context filter, but the other dimensions are not addressed. That said, GTD, as originally conceived and described in the book is intended to work with a pen & paper level of tech assistance - - with no automated sorting or filtering at all. Therefore, if a context view of tasks is so clogged that you are having trouble figuring out what to do next, it is assumed that you still have more work to do with refining your contexts.

In this regard, I would observe that the GTD and Franklin-Covey organizational models are polar opposites. GTD assumes that you face a constantly shifting sea of projects and tasks, where priority and even due dates are in constant flux. In contrast, F-C assumes that you have the ability to control or dictate task and project priority and/or due dates; and that these aspects of your life are relatively static.

If your world works as you describe and if you really can not do anything more with contexts, then the GTD model may not be for you; and, by extension, there may be other software tools that would better fit your needs. However, on the basis of my understanding of your post(s?), it appears to me that you are still coming to terms with GTD and you are still clinging to distinctly non-GTD organizational practices. In my experience, you have to fully commit to GTD for it to work; but I know others who are happy with the results of only partially drinking the GTD cool-aid.

Hi yucca, thank you for your helpful post.
I do not want to spend too much time planning/organizing things. I do use contexts but they are, as you said, quite broad (computer, email, online, home, laboratory, office). I've got more than 70 projects (projects and single action) and more that 200 tasks. Most of them take less than 1 hour to complete. If something takes longer, I chop the task in small pieces.
I rely on contexts to focus on tasks, and on due dates to know when the task should be complete/I want it to be complete. Any time I have a new task I assign it to a project and a context or it remains in the inbox for later review. If it is something urgent, I give it a due date, if not, I wait for the project review to assign a due date if needed. No due date tasks are out of my focus until I review the project.
Probably, I need to work on my contexts... Nowadays, I do not feel contexts as self contained. My tasks leak quite easily from one context to the other (eg, I am online, I check my mail.... several tasks from two contexts are done at the same time...).

BTW, I am happy with OF, although I do not use things like Start date or estimated time (I would not use energy level either). The review function and the flow from contexts to projects are great and have improved my efficiency.

As long as things work for you, that should be all that matters.

I've found the duration feature to be very helpful at identifying NAs that fit into available time slots as they open up during my day. I created some custom perspectives to take advantage of this.