The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Merge files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I started one OmniFocus doc on my work machine and a different one on my home machine. Now I'd like to merge them into a single location to keep all my GTD together. I've tried exporting every available format but can't find the magic file type that would allow me to import the doc. I've also tried opening both docs simultaneously and seeing if I can simply drag items from one to the other--but alas, to no avail.

So my question is, does OmniFocus have some kind of merge/import feature I can use to smoosh these two docs into one?

--AV

Your best option is probably to open the two OmniFocus databases side-by-side and copy/paste the projects from one into the other.

If I do this, I loose all context information.

Ie, new unnamed context are created into the new document.
Tasks of pasted project loose their context.

I also tried different flavors of export (OmniFocus Document, OmniFocus Backup...) without success.

What's the correct way to do this?
Now that the sync is working, I would really love to be able to merge my pro and personnal database.

Thanks

I think you should send feedback and ask for a merge feature.

In theory the hard part is all done with the syncing code.

You should hypothetically be able to do this.

Sync your work copy to a server

in OF, restore from backup and choose a home OF backup file

Click sync again

it could just work at this point, or OF could throw up a dialog that asks you to choose between server, local, and merge. I'm pretty sure there would be no object ID conflicts, but you could end up with some duplicate contexts.

Note I'm not suggesting you try this, it won't work, but I think its a good feature request.

-P

Just guessing here, but have you tried to manually create the necessary contexts in the target document?

I wonder if that, combined with exporting/importing through OmniOutliner, might work. My rationale is that the trip through OmniOutliner would strip identifier codes from contexts and reduce them to just their names.

Also, if the context information is lost when copying from one OF document to another, that sounds like a bug. Be sure to use Help --> Send Feedback to report it so it gets into the Omni bug tracker.

Good luck.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
If I do this, I loose all context information.
Looks like this is a regression in the 1.1 alphas; writing up and sending off to the dev team. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi Brian,

Good to know it's a known bug that will be squeezed.
When fixed, will it appear in the release notes of the daily build?

Thank you

It probably will, but I can't guarantee that. The daily notes are not automatically updated from our internal logs, so it's up to the engineers remembering.

I think this would be a significant enough change that it would quite likely get a mention in the release notes.