The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
.oo3 suffix means crippled file? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
First let me rave about OmniOutliner Pro: it is revolutionizing my file system, due to its flexibility and its linking capability. Finally an app powerful enough to take over from my old AppleWorks outlines. Or at least I thought so until this morning.

I'm using OOP 3.8 beta 1 on a PowerPC G4 running Mac OS 10.5.5. I'm trying to reproduce a problem I had earlier this morning.

In OOP file A I make a link to OOP file B by dragging in file B's icon from Finder; the link button is labeled with only the name of file B, with no suffix. I save file A. I open file B from the link in File A; file B comes up with the suffix ".oo3". In file B I make a change, save the file and close it. Then I open file B again from file A (which was open the whole time). The change to File B is there.

BUT when I go to finder and click on file B, it comes up in a third window, without the suffix, and without the change.

This defeats the whole purpose of linking: when I go to the other file, I want to be able to modify it! Does that .oo3 suffix indicate some kind of crippled, surrogate file?

This problem reminds me strongly of a problem I had in an earlier version of OOP. I didn't document that one very well, so can't really compare. But I haven't had the problem in some time, and I make these kinds of links frequently.

The problem started today when I did something slightly different from the description above. Let's see how well I can remember it:

Last night in OOP file A I made a link to OOP file B by dragging in file B's icon from Finder. I don't remember whether the link button had the suffix or not. I don't remember whether I saved file A (but it's likely, I save very often). I opened file B; probably from the link in File A but I'm not sure. I made extensive changes File B. Then my fingers slipped and I wasn't sure what had happened, so I saved file B as "file Boop" and opened file B beside it to compare. (Long before I started using OmniOutliner I formed the habit of doing this "oops" procedure; the addition of "oop" to the file name refers to that, not to the name of the app.) The new file was fine; to preserve all the work I'd made on it, I closed file B and saved File Boop as File B, then closed the file. I also saved and closed file A, then in Finder deleted file Boop.

This morning I opened OmniOutliner without a file, then opened File A from Recent Files. Then I opened file B, but I don't remember how. Drat! it's all getting fuzzy now. What I do recall is that at some point I had two different versions of file B open: one with all the changes I'd made yesterday, and one completely without. This was the first time the problem had recurred since I'd installed the latest beta.

I sure hope you can make it possible to modify OOP files accessed via OOP links.

-- Catherine
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
prefix/suffix on numbering steve OmniOutliner 4 for Mac 1 2013-05-08 01:31 AM
sp6: easier means to remove autofill data earthsaver OmniWeb Feature Requests 2 2006-04-27 11:14 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.