The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Import PowerPoint drawing as separate, editable objects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have some PowerPoint diagrams that I'd like to re-do in OG, but without re-doing them.

Here's one:

http://kan.org/download/AcquisitionConnections.ppt

I do have access to a PowerPoint/Win so I can export as WMF:

http://kan.org/download/Slide1.WMF

If I copy/paste from Illustrator, the whole slide becomes one object that I can't ungroup. If I "print" to PDF from PowerPoint/Mac and open that in OG I get Teh Huge text, and no boxes.

I _can_ read the WMF into Illustrator and then copy/paste each object, one-by-one, but that's extremely tedious and doesn't maintain my layout.

I can't be the only one with this requirement, can I?

Well, you *could* save out of Illustrator as a PDF or PDF-compatible .ai file, then directly open that file in OmniGraffle Professional.

Quite a bit can get lost in translation, however we're working on improving that aspect of Pro in the near future.

Opening powerpoint in an editbale fashion would save lots of time. Is there any progress on this?

I'm looking for a solution to this topic as well. My agency used powerpoint for most of their diagramming needs before I switched them to OmniGraffle. We have a lot of good diagram styles as powerpoints and was wondering if there was a way to import these objects into OmniGraffle.

We've got a feature request open for PowerPoint import/export. Our general approach is to give priority to the most frequently-requested features/changes.
This isn't at the top of that list yet, but I'll make sure your interest gets recorded so the rest of the team knows you want this. Thanks!

Add me to the list of interested parties. We do way too much in PPT, and I would be incredibly happy to be able to import them into OmniGraffle instead.

-Aaron

Using a win7/pc open in msoffice and paste object into Visio 2010 and save as VSD. Open in OG pro.

Question: If you need to import an infographic into OG, does that mean you're using it to create presentations? Imho, OG's not a great app for that. Better to use InDesign instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewS View Post
Using a win7/pc open in msoffice and paste object into Visio 2010 and save as VSD. Open in OG pro.

Question: If you need to import an infographic into OG, does that mean you're using it to create presentations? Imho, OG's not a great app for that. Better to use InDesign instead.
This sounds like a acceptable workaround. I solely work in my Macbook and do not have Visio though. Is there another way to convert powerpoints to VSD's?

Add me to the list of people interested in being able to import ppt files. Would be such a relief to be able to get out of doing collaborative figures in powerpoint.