The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Show Only Available Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like to do a daily review to flag some tasks for the day, but my review perspective is crowded with projects that have no available actions. I would like to be able to show only available projects, i.e. those with available actions in a perspective. Am I missing some way to do this? Or is this a feature I should request? Does anyone do something similar?

I do a similar thing, but use context mode for my review. Would it help you to review in context mode showing available actions, grouped by project?

Curt

I tried context mode, and it still showed unavailable projects (those that have no actions). I guess this is because of the new 1.8 features. Also, I really want to be able to group by review because I have different review schedules for each project and I only want to deal with those that are up for review today.

Are you using OmniFocus' built-in review support (group by next review, Mark Project Reviewed button, etc.)? I have a perspective to review Stalled projects, which I use first, catching all the projects with no available actions and either completing them, adding some actions, or putting them on hold -- thus eliminating them from sight in the rest of the review. Then I march through the active projects which have a next review date of today or earlier, again using a project view grouped by next review. As I review, I can tweak the next review date and/or the review period on a project-by-project basis so that the right projects get the bulk of my attention. If I see something that would be particularly good to work on in the next day or two, I'll flag that project or select actions.

Yes, I use essentially the built in review perspective. I do have a stalled project perspective as well, but the problem with looking at that first is that most of my "stalled" projects are just blocked by a next action with a future start date. There's really nothing I can do with projects like that. I don't want to put it on hold because it really is active, just not yet available. That's why I would like the distinction between active and available for projects.

I had this very same problem and couldn't figure out how to solve it. Finally, I looked under Preferences, Data. At the very bottom, there is a checkbox -
In Context Mode: Show Projects and Action Groups.

This was checked. I unchecked it and voilà all the empty projects disappeared from both Context Mode and Available Perspective.

I know this reply is a year later, but hopefully it helps someone :)