The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Displaying nested contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone,

I just started using OmniFocus, and found myself quickly relying heavily on GTD-like contexts, especially "nested" contexts. For example, Computer could be one context with Computer : Work, and Computer : Home as sub-contexts or nested contexts.

So far so good. What I was expecting was for OF to display the complete context next to the task. For example, Computer : Work instead of just the main context Computer.

Is there a way to do this? Any ideas are much appreciated.

V.

OmniFocus > Preferences > General > Project & Context Columns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
OmniFocus > Preferences > General > Project & Context Columns
You even have an option of choosing the separator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
You even have an option of choosing the separator.
Thanks guys!

Sorry, should 've investigated the Preferences closely :)

V.

Hi guys! Sorry to reopen the thread, but I was wondering if there's a way I can have my cake and eat it too.

For maximal readability, I recently changed my separator for nested Projects + Contexts to one of the right arrow symbols (see attached screenshot). The result is beautiful and much more readable.

However: I can no longer create nested Columns + Projects on the fly. Previously, I could hammer out some characters to get me to a particular Context, then add a colon and type the new Context name and CMD+RETURN to add the Context, perfectly typed and nested, on the fly. For instance, I could effortlessly go from...

Internet : Shopping
to
Internet : Shopping : Amazon

...without having to change views. Now that I have changed the separator, that's stopped working. =/ OmniFocus doesn't seem to recognize the new separator character in the input field -- neither the colon (:) nor the greater-than (>) work. Is there another key I can use, or do I have to choose either the colon + on-the-fly context/project creation, or the other symbol without?

Thanks for all your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-08-21 at 11.45.00 PM.png
Views:	533
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1997  

It should work — it worked for me when I just tried it. Spell out enough of the parent's name to make it unique, then type ":" (even though your separator is something else!) and the nested context, followed by cmd-return.