The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Archiving on Per-Project Basis Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a need/desire to archive, but on a per-Project basis rather than a per-time basis. As an example, I would like to move just one specific project (that is completed) to a defined place in "an archive" and thereby remove it from OF. That archive could be as simple as a ZIP archive at the Finder level or it could be a copy of the folder in some other application. I almost prefer the former though, because this leaves the file management portion generic rather than being tied to ... for example ... DevonThink or EagleFiler or ....

I am wondering what others might be doing that is similar to what I want? Suggestions would be appreciated.

--
JJW

I can't think of a solution offhand, but we do have a feature request that covers what you're asking for here - I'll attach your info so the rest of the team knows you'd like to see this appear in some future version of the app. Thanks!

JJW,

if you use OmniFocus' archiving scheme, you can just drag the project you want to archive to the Archive, then delete it from your main database. This has the advantage that your data is still in OmniFocus format, and you can bring things back easily if necessary. However, it is a pain in the posterior if what you want is to archive only the older stuff in a given project (instead of across the board).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
... if you use OmniFocus' archiving scheme, you can just drag the project you want to archive to the Archive, then delete it from your main database. This has the advantage that your data is still in OmniFocus format, and you can bring things back easily if necessary. However, it is a pain in the posterior if what you want is to archive only the older stuff in a given project (instead of across the board).
Actually, I am exclusively interested in archiving across the board only on projects that are entirely complete. So this is not at all a problem.

By comparison, my problem with the archive-by-date option is, it removes completed actions even from projects that are still on-going. This leaves me with "holes" in the ongoing project sequence that I then have to remember have been already filled, and that is counter-productive for me in a "keep it out of your head" approach.

I see that I can use the Open Archive command to open an empty archive, copy in the completed projects, and then close/save the archive. That gets me started. All I really want is for this process to have an automatic mode. Also, when a project is copied over, it generates a copy of the upper level folders at odd locations. That may be a bug that needs to be reported.

Thanks -- I have got a good start here!!!

--
JJW

I don't use the date-based feature for the same reasons you mention, though I would if I could limit its scope (to selected projects when I invoke the command, perhaps). I've got a lot of ongoing SAL traffic that would be nice to archive (or trash, but there's a bit of hoarding going on here :-) but not at the cost of making my many long-running projects harder to grasp.