The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Padding only below last row in a group of rows Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hopefully I can explain this properly, but is there a way to add padding below only the last row in a group? For example, I'm trying to get the padding in my outline to look like this:

LEVEL 1 ROW ITEM
-- level 2 row item
-- level 2 row item
-- level 2 row item
---- level 3 row item

[space here]

LEVEL 1 ROW ITEM
-- level 2 row item
-- level 2 row item
-- level 2 row item

[space here]

LEVEL 1 ROW ITEM
-- level 2 row item
-- level 2 row item
---- level 3 row item
-- level 2 row item

[space here]

etc.

In other words, I want to have groups of rows on their own island - each level 1 row together with the children rows (if that's the right term) and have space around each grouping.

I've tried the various padding options, and none seem to do what I want, so maybe I'm missing something obvious. "Row padding" pads on both sides of items, while I just want it below the last row in a grouping. "Above children" and "below children" don't seem to be doing much of anything, as best I can tell when trying different settings on different rows.

The best I've been able to do is apply 2.0 line spacing to the Level 1 Rows, and then just try to keep text in those rows from spilling onto a second line. I'd like greater padding, too. In OO 3, I was able to apply padding to just below specific rows. I can't find that option here. I'm using OO4 Professional. Thanks for any help.

I think the "below children" setting in the Style inspector does what you're asking for. Unfortunately, there's a bug in the current version such that the view is not redisplaying to immediately reflect changes to that setting - something else has to happen and force a refresh before you will see the new spacing. (Collapsing and then expanding a group is one way to force it to redisplay with the new spacing.) This bug is on our radar, but since it is affecting you, I would encourage you to send in a bug report to reinforce that it's an issue for you.

As for adding padding only below certain rows, that was lost when we simplified the padding and spacing to make it easier for people to get consistent, predictable spacing. (There were certain commonly-desired layouts that were disappointingly difficult to achieve in OO3.) A workaround is to just have an empty row (an approach we believe people were already using). If that isn't a good solution for you, please send in a feature request. (And it's possible that you may still be able to accomplish this with AppleScript; our support team should be able to let you know if so.)

Thanks! The "below children" did the trick, after I forced a refresh of the view.