The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Fallout / Fallout 2 & Snow Leopard Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I recently unearthed the Omni conversions of Fallout and Fallout 2. Both seemed to work flawlessly under 10.5.x Unfortunately, 10.6 has issues with them.

Fallout plays the Duck & Cover sound, then takes over the screen with a flash of "Please Stand By", and the screen blacks out. Sound effects still play in background.

Fallout 2 plays Duck & Cover, takes over the screen with a flash of Now Loading (or similar), and the screen whites out. Sound effects still play in background.

I am guessing that it is an 8-bit color depth issue, and that the OS isn't responding to the change request. Any ideas on this?

I haven't really looked into this, but your guess sounds reasonable: I think Snow Leopard might have finally dropped support for 8-bit color display modes, and I'm pretty sure Fallout still used them.

I'd love to make them work again sometime, but we ported Fallout under contract and don't have the rights to publish an update even if we did have time to work on it. I hate to say it, but your best bet might be to pick up a copy for Windows (Fallout 1 & 2 are both on Steam for $9.99, or you can get both plus Fallout Tactics for $19.99).

Fallout 1 works well in my iMac with an nvidia card. Goes to black screen in my other iMac, with an ATI card. Both with Snow Leopard, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I haven't really looked into this, but your guess sounds reasonable: I think Snow Leopard might have finally dropped support for 8-bit color display modes, and I'm pretty sure Fallout still used them.

I'd love to make them work again sometime, but we ported Fallout under contract and don't have the rights to publish an update even if we did have time to work on it. I hate to say it, but your best bet might be to pick up a copy for Windows (Fallout 1 & 2 are both on Steam for $9.99, or you can get both plus Fallout Tactics for $19.99).
Perhaps Bethesda can throw you (us?) a bone? ;)

The *ahem* windows version is an option under Steam, as it works well with CrossOver Games. Just not sure if I want to spend more money on something that Omni already did such a great job of. (I'd rather give the money to Omni!)

If Wikipedia's dating is accurate, it's stunning that a game from 1997 and converted by Omni in 2002 still was running flawlessly until Apple broke it in mid 2009.